Potential problem with Axe-Fx sold to someone

billschultz

Hey,

Just wondering if someone might be able to help me with a troubleshooting issue on a unit I do not have possession of. Crazy right? I sold my Axe-FX II to someone just the other day. They just received the unit and are saying that there is a tremolo effect over every preset. Everything was working fine before I shipped, and the only thing I did was factory reset the preset banks.

They are saying that every preset has a tremolo sound over it. I am trying to get them to tell me what effects are enabled in layout view, but have been unable to clarify this, and am not sure why that would happen after restoring the factory presets.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

few factory presets have a trem block.

it's probably hardware related, or they're playing through a signal path that is adding something like that. or their guitar could be cutting in and out. hard to say with the few details.

few factory presets have a trem block.

it's probably hardware related, or they're playing through a signal path that is adding something like that. or their guitar could be cutting in and out. hard to say with the few details.
Ok, thank you. Not sure how a hardware issue would come about all of a sudden, maybe something in shipping.

His reply was "There is a hum and the rotary sound on ALL presets! When I bypass the rotary I can get an actual tone, but there is still background noise."

Not sure if that narrows things down at all.

Im wondering if walking him through reseting with Fractal-Bot would potentially resolve everything. I guess that might be the next step.

find out what devices are plugged in. any midi? the rotary blocks are not on by default.

All good things to consider! Geez, I wish the issue was just a ceiling fan, haha. Going to talk on the phone later so hopefully I can walk him through it all. It's his first Axe-Fx, so he's not quite as comfortable with getting around and troubleshooting.

Yeah, from what he is saying, the rotary block is enabled on all presets and when he bypasses it, he still has a bunch of background noise. The rotary block thing seems weird, but hopefully I can walk him through making a preset from scratch, then go over all connections to isolate the issue.

It’s possible he’s reset back to factory presets. The first 30 or so are amp-specific instead of genre/player-specific and when switching to scene 2, all effects are active including the rotary effect in the chain.

Is that a firmware bug? Because when I updated my firmware recently, I discovered that there was now a rotary effect present in many of my presets that wasn't there before. I didn't check them all. I sure didn't put them there, because rotary is never an effect I have had any use for.

I've since updated to the latest ARES release and those mystery blocks have gone away. I don't know what happened there. It's OK now. Good enough.

Back
Top Bottom