Potential input jack problems when switching guitars

nathan_393

Inspired
Hi all,

I have an odd issue with my Axe FX III, and before I write support about it, I want to make sure it's not user error on my part.

While playing, I'll sometimes want to plug in a different guitar. I engage the tuner (which I have set to mute), unplug the instrument, and plug in another.

Sometimes, when I plug in the new instrument, I get a squealing sound as though the input gain is set to something like 500%. I'm no longer tickling the reds — it's bright red all the time. When I roll down the volume knob, even at zero, my input levels are still at 25%. If I unplug the guitar, the input levels are at 50% (without touching the connector on the cable).

If, in this situation, I unplug the cable, I still get one green bar on Input 1.

The only fix is to turn off the Axe FX III, wait about 10 seconds (which I assume is long enough for a power cycle, and then reboot the Axe FX.

It's not consistent. I might need to unplug and plug in a couple times in a single session to make it happen.

I know this isn't normal, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there any easy way to avoid this happening, beyond using the input on the back of the Axe FX?

Check your expression pedal calibration. I have had occasional issues with mine when fully heel down not registering as zero, which causes signal to still pass and things can get a little weird. It seems to happen only if I still have my foot on it and apply too much pressure when it's in the heel down position.

Check your expression pedal calibration. I have had occasional issues with mine when fully heel down not registering as zero, which causes signal to still pass and things can get a little weird. It seems to happen only if I still have my foot on it and apply too much pressure when it's in the heel down position.
Thanks. I have double checked this and see if it will help. The pedal isn't always active in presets (or globally), so I'd be surprised if this was it, but weirder things have happened.

Sounds like a hardware issue but have you tried reinstalling firmware first?
Not reinstalling, but it has persisted through a couple point updates for what that's worth. I've also replaced one output jack on a guitar and had my tech take a look at another today to rule out guitar issues too.

Not reinstalling, but it has persisted through a couple point updates for what that's worth. I've also replaced one output jack on a guitar and had my tech take a look at another today to rule out guitar issues too.
I see… squelling wise I hope you’re not around electronics causing too much electromagnetic interference i.e computer with glass side that the pickups are picking up

Try moving around see if the input levels are the same if so

Just to rule that potential problem out

I see… squelling wise I hope you’re not around electronics causing too much electromagnetic interference i.e computer with glass side that the pickups are picking up

Try moving around see if the input levels are the same if so

Just to rule that potential problem out
The Axe FX is in my office, so that's possible, but it is not the same as an electromagnetic hum, and it only happens when I plug in a guitar while the Axe FX is still on. It doesn't happen at any other time. Moving around doesn't have any effect.

The Axe FX is in my office, so that's possible, but it is not the same as an electromagnetic hum, and it only happens when I plug in a guitar while the Axe FX is still on. It doesn't happen at any other time. Moving around doesn't have any effect.
I can share a sound clip of what it sounds like when I move my guitar closer to a computer with a glass case tomorrow

But it only happens at the front input jack?

That's correct. It's also not related to movement in my office or around the place, and only happens when a cable is inserted into a guitar. It's almost like the guitar cable sends a high-voltage signal to the input jack when it enters the output jack of a guitar. It's a very weird issue.

I should probably just email support.

That's correct. It's also not related to movement in my office or around the place, and only happens when a cable is inserted into a guitar. It's almost like the guitar cable sends a high-voltage signal to the input jack when it enters the output jack of a guitar. It's a very weird issue.

Out of curiosity, what happens if, instead of unplugging and plugging in the guitar, you unplug at the Axe? IOW, unplug from the Axe, then swap guitars, connect instrument cable to second guitar THEN reconnect cable to the axe. That should clarify if it's the output plug on the guitar.

May not be the answer but it's easy to try. Best of luck. Please report back if you do hear from support.

There is almost always going to be some noise (typically a buzzing sound) whenever you remove or insert a cable from either the guitar or the input jack, this is normal behavior and happens with all amplifiers, both tube and digital. I have my volume control placed after the amp block and always move it to the full heel down position before swapping guitars or cables. There is no sound (because the signal is muted after the amp block), but the input lights do flash when doing this.

Out of curiosity, I would try inserting a volume block and using that to mute the sound when changing guitars to see if that may eliminate the issue.

There is almost always going to be some noise (typically a buzzing sound) whenever you remove or insert a cable from either the guitar or the input jack, this is normal behavior and happens with all amplifiers, both tube and digital. I have my volume control placed after the amp block and always move it to the full heel down position before swapping guitars or cables. There is no sound (because the signal is muted after the amp block), but the input lights do flash when doing this.
this I would expect! It’s not that, though. I mean, that definitely happens, but it’s only after that when the input gets permanently dimed.

Out of curiosity, what happens if, instead of unplugging and plugging in the guitar, you unplug at the Axe? IOW, unplug from the Axe, then swap guitars, connect instrument cable to second guitar THEN reconnect cable to the axe. That should clarify if it's the output plug on the guitar.

May not be the answer but it's easy to try. Best of luck. Please report back if you do hear from support.
I will give this a shot and see what happens! Thanks!

Just a wild thought, but do your guitars have batteries in them?

Back
Top Bottom