Post Here if You've Received An FM3 Invite!

Got my invite today, but I'm gonna have to pass until the full production units are available. I need that headphone output to route a separate monitor/click for use with the looper. :-/ I asked and they said no adding the headphone assembly later, either.

Joined the list on 4/24.

Got my invite today, but I'm gonna have to pass until the full production units are available. I need that headphone output to route a separate monitor/click for use with the looper. :-/ I asked and they said no adding the headphone assembly later, either.

Joined the list on 4/24.
Based on the current manual, the headphone jack is just out1. So you may not be able to route anything separate to the headphone jack if that is what you are waiting for. Not 100% sure though.

I think the headphone signal can be routed to the SPDIF as an option.
Also not sure.

Found this in the manual. Maybe @Admin M@ can chime in to clarify on the ability to route a different signal path to headphones or if it is indeed just a copy of OUT1:
  • Output 1 is Stereo, with Balanced XLR jacks, plus a stereo headphone out.
  • Headphones Output — 1/4" Stereo Jack — Connect headphones here to monitor Output 1.
  • SPDIF Out Source: Output 1, Output 2, Input 2

Found this in the manual. Maybe @Admin M@ can chime in to clarify on the ability to route a different signal path to headphones or if it is indeed just a copy of OUT1:
  • Output 1 is Stereo, with Balanced XLR jacks, plus a stereo headphone out.
  • Headphones Output — 1/4" Stereo Jack — Connect headphones here to monitor Output 1.
  • SPDIF Out Source: Output 1, Output 2, Input 2

I found this on Page 2 (8) - also not clear. Although I think you're right. There's no dedicated HP out - only OUT1.

OFb8L94.jpg

As it states clearly in multiple places, the headphones signal is identical to that at the Out 1 jacks.

As it states clearly in multiple places, the headphones signal is identical to that at the Out 1 jacks.
If that’s the case, then why have so many here said that certain headphones won’t work with the signal coming out of those jacks? I’m really confused here.

Does that mean that the Out 1 can be used as an alternative to the headphone jack?

Thanks, Rod
Yes. In certain cases. But see below.

If that’s the case, then why have so many here said that certain headphones won’t work with the signal coming out of those jacks? I’m really confused here.
The driver for Output 1 isn't meant to drive low impedence loads such as headphones with very large diaphgrams. It is not opimized for the task of driving headphones, it is optimized for the task of presenting a line level signal to high(ish) impedence inputs such as you find on FRFR speakers, mixing desks, etc.

However, this is not what @Admin M@ was trying to clear up.

Whatever signal you send to Output 1 will appear on the headphone out jack of an FM3 sporting headphones -- that's what @Admin M@ was saying.

There is no such thing as "the headphone signal can be routed to the SPDIF as an option" as @Donnie B. says above. The "headphone signal" is not routable. It recieves the signal sent to Outpu1 -- and Output 1's signal can be routed to the SPDIF output on the FM3.

Yes. In certain cases. But see below.

The driver for Output 1 isn't meant to drive low impedence loads such as headphones with very large diaphgrams. It is not opimized for the task of driving headphones, it is optimized for the task of presenting a line level signal to high(ish) impedence inputs such as you find on FRFR speakers, mixing desks, etc.

However, this is not what @Admin M@ was trying to clear up.

Whatever signal you send to Output 1 will appear on the headphone out jack of an FM3 sporting headphones -- that's what @Admin M@ was saying.

There is no such thing as "the headphone signal can be routed to the SPDIF as an option" as @Donnie B. says above. The "headphone signal" is not routable. It recieves the signal sent to Outpu1 -- and Output 1's signal can be routed to the SPDIF output on the FM3.
Well, in that case, i need to rethink my looper configuration, and maybe i'll just order the heaphone jack-less unit!

Waitlisted 4/24/2019 3:52PM Eastern
Invite 4/14/2020 1:32PM Eastern
Ordered - I'll use the AF3 if I need headphones. The FM3 is going to be bolted to a pedalboard.

Two day shipping was only $4 more, so I splurged.
$4 more ?? I didn’t see that when I ordered. It was more like double the standard shipping rate! I’m in Texas

Welp, ordered - if the hp jack is just an out1 mirror, then there's no point for my waiting. I can always route metronome to out 2 I suppose
When you receive the FM3 can you verify if headphones function through output 1. I am on the list for April 27th and debating if I should wait or not.

Thank you, Rod

Not to muddy the water further on the headphones mirroring the output from out 1, but it's relevant.

Older headphones often have very different impedance ratings and sensitivities than modern ones that tend to model the impedance associated with ear buds and cheaper consumer headphones for universal compatibility. In short, different headphones will respond differently.

From the manual, note the impedance ratings of the headphone jack and the output 1 outputs...

(2) XLR balanced with Ground Lift
Selectable between -10 dBV and +4 dBu in software
600 Ω +20 dBu

1/4" stereo phone jack 35 Ω

Back
Top Bottom