Portnoy back in Dream Theater

This is bizarre to me. Don’t get me wrong, I always thought Portnoy was the drummer for DT. Well, the right drummer for just about anything, I guess “never say never”…idk.

They will sell lots of tickets for another year or two that’s for sure!

Its been 13 years but feels like 3. Mike just had a bit of a mid life crisis joining A7X and thinking he was going to be the permanent guy IMO.

im glad hes back. Now lets get kevin moore also...

Wow, I did not see that coming! I actually really like Mangini, but their live performances have suffered the past few years due to being so highly scripted, no variation to the setlist, Petrucci fake singing backing vocals, James's voice, etc. Maybe Mike's presence can inject some life and right the ship.

HOLY COW this is awesome.
I'm wondering if Petrucci's solo outing last year (Terminal Velocity is :cool:🤘btw) rekindled their friendship...esp being on stage together for 3-4 mos...it was an incredible tour.

If only they could get a singer. LaBrie's voice is toast. Love Mikey as a drummer though. Saw the DT, Animals, Townsend tour this summer, if only Devin would sing for them. James used to have a fantastic voice, but the damage done from his food poisoning episode left him with irreparable damage. Shame, his voice on Images was stunning.

To echo with others have said, this is wonderful news but yeah, James's voice is mega fucked. I imagine that years of their An Evening with Dream Theater tours might be at least partially responsible for the damage. He'd be singing for like 2-3 hours every night IIRC. Great for fans and great for business (not having to pay opening acts) but not great for a vocalist. We'll see what they do about it.

im personally stoked for the return of MP, I said it to a friend of mine when I let him know this morning and he is equally excited and a huge MP fan (He's also a drummer). Ive seen both lineups and while I liked the Mangini era, IMO it lacked something from the Portnoy era. Don't get me wrong Mangini is a phenomenal drummer but the rightful throne for that band belongs to Portnoy. And yes they did what they needed to do to keep the band moving forward in his absence, and he did incredible work with his other projects, but I always felt it was a matter of time before he came back.

Stoked as well!

Is there a specific reason why Mangini is not in the band anymore? I haven’t been able to find any as of yet.

because MP wanted his job back. Or DT wanted MP back. Thats about all it could be.

Having hung out with Mangini a few months ago...basically his contract was up. When he signed on it was for a fixed amount of albums and tours, potentially to be extended, but likely not. The timing of the release of his solo album is not a coincidence either (which is definitely worth checking out) :)

Back
Top Bottom