popping when switching scenes using scene controllers

Trying to use scene controllers to control the input gain on a brit silver amp between scenes. Swtiching between scenes 1 and two on the mfc engages the scene modifier for the input drive on the amp. The pop is extremely noticeable when going from scene two (input drive engaged) to scene 1. If you switch between scenes 1 and 3, there is just a drive pedal and no pop.

post the preset to check it out

bear in mind im using the mfc for controlling. i chug single notes on my guitar at a fast tempo while simotaneously switching between scenes 1 and 2 on the mfc. i can hear a pop. this doesnt happen if i do the same thing but instead of switching scenes, just turn on a drive pedal. If i can get this to work, it would be amazing! thanks for the help

You should start with 2 amp blocks for seamless changes between low and higher gain settings. Then resort to scene controllers when needed. Having said that, I will look at it tonight.....if someone doesn't beat me to it?

You should start with 2 amp blocks for seamless changes between low and higher gain settings. Then resort to scene controllers when needed. Having said that, I will look at it tonight.....if someone doesn't beat me to it?

Yes thats the easiest way, however im a versatile player and am using the second amp for metal only. so i need to be able to have the first amp do clean, dirty, blues, led zeppelin rock, etc. thanks for taking a look! i feel like its a bug. it shouldnt be that difficult to make a scene controller work seamlessly

The popping is a result of bypassed blocks un-bypassing in a particular order and/or faster than the scene controllers are moving. But there are usually work-arounds?

The modifiers create a large level increase when moving between the different scene values. I would try using one SC as gain & level modifier source, and verifying the curves keep the level more even throughout. That may take a few minutes or more, as you'll need to sweep the SC value to test level.

You could increase damping on the current modifiers to reduce the pop, but the level increase will still be really obvious. In any case, a few ms of damping may work better than 0 ms.

Yes thats the easiest way, however im a versatile player and am using the second amp for metal only. so i need to be able to have the first amp do clean, dirty, blues, led zeppelin rock, etc. thanks for taking a look! i feel like its a bug. it shouldnt be that difficult to make a scene controller work seamlessly
In the same song? Why not another preset? Just asking......

In the same song? Why not another preset? Just asking......

i tend to jam a lot with friends and would like the option to seamlessly switch during our jams. and i also will be writing diverse music that would require this.

Last edited:
The modifiers create a large level increase when moving between the different scene values. I would try using one SC as gain & level modifier source, and verifying the curves keep the level more even throughout. That may take a few minutes or more, as you'll need to sweep the SC value to test level.

You could increase damping on the current modifiers to reduce the pop, but the level increase will still be really obvious. In any case, a few ms of damping may work better than 0 ms.

thanks for the reply. how would i do this?

Here it is. Amp 1 is where im having issues.
There are still dozens of issues. But I assume that it's a work in process? I had to remove the 'Rotary' to get the CPU close to 90%. I mostly just addressed the 'Amp 1'/scene controller issues. Scene 1 and 2.
  1. Set the min. and max. levels in all modifiers to usable levels.
  2. Set scene controller 1 to 0% (clean) for scene 1 and 100% (dirty) for scene 2.
  3. Set all 'Amp 1' modifiers to scene controller 1. Leaves scene controller 2 for something else.
  4. Added a modifier to the 'Input Trim' to help clean up Amp 1 without having to reduce the 'Input Drive' to '0'. With the 'Input Drive' at '0', the Amp level is very low (like a real amp).
  5. Temporarily set all modifier 'Dampening' parameters to 1000 ms. Adjusted the 'mid' parameter where needed for a smooth transition from clean to dirty. (easier to do with a longer 'Dampening' time)
  6. Reset all modifier 'Dampening' parameters to default (10 ms).
No more gaps or thumps.............:cool:

You can see why some people pay me to do this........;) It can be quite challenging.

Attachments

• Still a 'mess'.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for helping me understand this a little better. I get the pop factor once and awhile and now I know what I can do to fix it.

Thanks for helping me understand this a little better. I get the pop factor once and awhile and now I know what I can do to fix it.
The items listed in the above post are specific to the preset the OP posted. But can apply in most situations?

There are still dozens of issues. But I assume that it's a work in process? I had to remove the 'Rotary' to get the CPU close to 90%. I mostly just addressed the 'Amp 1'/scene controller issues. Scene 1 and 2.
  1. Set the min. and max. levels in all modifiers to usable levels.
  2. Set scene controller 1 to 0% (clean) for scene 1 and 100% (dirty) for scene 2.
  3. Set all 'Amp 1' modifiers to scene controller 1. Leaves scene controller 2 for something else.
  4. Added a modifier to the 'Input Trim' to help clean up Amp 1 without having to reduce the 'Input Drive' to '0'. With the 'Input Drive' at '0', the Amp level is very low (like a real amp).
  5. Temporarily set all modifier 'Dampening' parameters to 1000 ms. Adjusted the 'mid' parameter where needed for a smooth transition from clean to dirty. (easier to do with a longer 'Dampening' time)
  6. Reset all modifier 'Dampening' parameters to default (10 ms).
No more gaps or thumps.............:cool:

You can see why some people pay me to do this........;) It can be quite challenging.

Hey Moke, you are amazing and thank you for the help! And yes I can see why people pay you. how much would you charge for a skype session where i could ask questions? Also, the thump has gone away but i can still here a swoosh. not that big of a deal. but the OCD part of myself still wants to see if it can be addressed. And yes this whole preset is a serious work in progress. But, I'm loving the knowledge im gaining. im a total noob to the axe fx!

Hey Moke, you are amazing and thank you for the help! And yes I can see why people pay you. how much would you charge for a skype session where i could ask questions? Also, the thump has gone away but i can still here a swoosh. not that big of a deal. but the OCD part of myself still wants to see if it can be addressed. And yes this whole preset is a serious work in progress. But, I'm loving the knowledge im gaining. im a total noob to the axe fx!
It sounds as expected to me when going between scenes 1 and 2. The 'swoosh' is probably just the distortion ramping up? There would be more work for the other scenes to be smooth as well depending on how the other blocks are setup?

I am thinking of adding 'Skype' sessions to my list of services when I (hopefully?) go 'full-time' some time next year.

Back
Top Bottom