Popping when changing from clean to dirty

dB

Inspired
I've got a bit of a pop when changing scenes, mostly from clean to dirty and I don't recall this happening with my II. Single amp, no channel changing, under 80% CPU, on 3.01. Is this a "just live with it" situation?

Attachments

• Cherry Bomb I.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your post is a little contradictory in that you say “when changing channels”, then “no channel changing”.

I’m not close to my Axe to try, but can you copy your Amp block so you have two - one set on your clean channel, and one set on the dirty one, then use the multiplexor to switch between the two tones?

Yep, definitely some popping going on. I removed some blocks to be under 70% CPU. If I remove your Control Switches, then I don't hear popping. I was really only toggling between scene 2/3 to test with. So, it's possible the CS switches aren't the only thing affected here. But the popping is very similar to what I see switching channels with my delay blocks here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/plex-delay-channel-bypass-click-trails-odd-behavior.147750/

I have other issues in my preset as well. I opened a support case about my particular issue

Is that attached to the Input Drive?

On the Axe Fx II it was recommended to not do that as it can spike the CPU. You could try Input Trim as well.

Yes. I'm using scene controllers to change the Input Drive, Level, Input Boost and the Bright Switch.

Most of the 'clicking' seems to be coming from the 'Bright' switch, which is being controlled by scene controller number 4.

I have found many anomalies like this in the 'III' that seam like small bugs to me?

Try copying amp 1, Channel B, into channel A. then remove the scene controller from the 'Bright' switch. Set that switch to off in channel A, and on in channel B. Use Channel A in scenes 1 and 2 (where that controller had the Bright switch off), and Channel B for the other scenes (where that controller had the Bright switch on). This avoids the clicking sound from the 'Bright' switch change, as the Amp block quickly mutes when changing channels.

1. There is some of other (seemingly unnecessary) channel switching going on in many of the scenes?
  2. The cab block is switching from Channel A to B, but the only difference is that only the muted IRs change? But the IR that is being used does not change?
  3. Both drive blocks are switching channels, causing some dropouts, even though they are both muted in every scene? Are you using the drive blocks for anything? If so, this may be intentional.
  4. Delay block 1 also is changing channels while muted? Intentional?
  5. Amp 2 this not seem to be used in any scene? Not sure why it is there? Maybe as a template?

Last edited:
Most of the 'clicking' seems to be coming from the 'Bright' switch, which is being controlled by scene controller number 4. Try copying amp 1, Channel B, into channel A. then remove the scene controller from the 'Bright' switch. Set that switch to off in channel A, and on in channel B. Use Channel A in scenes 1 and 2 (where that controller had the Bright switch off), and Channel B for the other scenes (where that controller had the Bright switch on).

There is some of other (seemingly unnecessary) channel switching going on in many of the scenes?

The cab block is switching from Channel A to B, but the only difference is that only the muted IRs change? But the IR that is being used does not change?

Both drive blocks are switching channels, causing some dropouts, even though they are both muted in every scene? Are you using the drive blocks for anything? If so, this may be intentional.

Delay block 1 also is changing channels while muted? Intentional?

Amp 2 this not seem to be used in any scene? Not sure why it is there? Maybe as a template?

I missed the channel changing on the cab. Fixed that.
The muted Drive blocks will be unmuted when needed, so that is intentional.
Didn't catch the Delay 1 block switching channels either.
Amp 2 will be used, but wanted to get this part of my "preset in progress" sorted out before I continued.

Out 1 was also changing channels?

Try this one out. This is mostly how I would have set this up to avoid any scene switching issues?
  1. Moved the (boost) filter block to a point earlier in the signal chain so that it won't also affect any Delay and/or Reverb trails.
  2. Changed the Reverb quality to Normal, to save on some CPU.
  3. Moved Scene Controller 2 to the 'Input Trim' in Amp block 1 and created two Amp channels with different 'Input Drive' values to cover the various gain stages needed (in conjunction with the, scene controlled, 'Input Trim' parameter). (Also for Amp 2, but did not adjust anything there)
  4. Added a 3rd channel to amp 1. This allowed me to remove the Scene Controllers on the 'Bright' and Boost' switches. Very small gaps are usually better than 'pops' and 'clicks'?
  5. Re-adjusted the Scene Controller 2 'Dirt' values for each scene throughout the three Amp channels to match the previous levels.
  6. Added some 'Damping' (100 ms) to the 'Dirt' and 'Level' scene controllers to make the transitions smoother.
  7. Lowered all scene volumes a bit to prevent clipping on scene 5.
  8. Fixed unnecessary channel switching on Out 1, Delay 1, and Cab 1
Moke

Attachments

• CB (MCP).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just started setting up my AXE FX III this week, and I have come across a few issues here and there (it sat unopened in it's box for the last three months so I could spend quality time really learning my XL+).

I have experienced this popping sound a good number of times, and thanks to this post and the replies provided, I'll have something to reference once I have time to go back and look for those presets where the pops occurred (I don't recall if they were stock or user downloaded or my own new custom presets).

I also appreciate the fact that forum users helped the OP problem-solve this issue by taking an actual look at the preset.

Pretty freaking AWESOME!!!

I truly believe that the Fractal Forum is the #1 place where people care enough to help their fellow forum members :)

Out 1 was also changing channels?

Try this one out. This is mostly how I would have set this up to avoid any scene switching issues?
  1. Moved the (boost) filter block to a point earlier in the signal chain so that it won't also affect any Delay and/or Reverb trails.
  2. Changed the Reverb quality to Normal, to save on some CPU.
  3. Moved Scene Controller 2 to the 'Input Trim' in Amp block 1 and created two Amp channels with different 'Input Drive' values to cover the various gain stages needed (in conjunction with the, scene controlled, 'Input Trim' parameter). (Also for Amp 2, but did not adjust anything there)
  4. Added a 3rd channel to amp 1. This allowed me to remove the Scene Controllers on the 'Bright' and Boost' switches. Very small gaps are usually better than 'pops' and 'clicks'?
  5. Re-adjusted the Scene Controller 2 'Dirt' values for each scene throughout the three Amp channels to match the previous levels.
  6. Added some 'Damping' (100 ms) to the 'Dirt' and 'Level' scene controllers to make the transitions smoother.
  7. Lowered all scene volumes a bit to prevent clipping on scene 5.
  8. Fixed unnecessary channel switching on Out 1, Delay 1, and Cab 1
Moke
Moke, this sounds great! Thank you for the sleuthing, pointing out what needed to be changed (and why), and thank you for re-writing my "everything AND the kitchen sink" preset. Thanks man, you rawk!!!

Back
Top Bottom