Bug? pop noises when x/y or preset change

Jens973

Inspired
Hi,

I am using AX8 with firmeware 10.01.

I discovered that I have "pop noises" when switching between presets or even scenes. These noises occure mainly when amps or effects are changed. Also when enabling an effect in the signal path, but - and thats interessting - not always and only when enabling it seems.

This behaviour is quite annoying during a gig - preset changes between songs are doing these noises through FOH - thats not funny at all. And even more if you have to step up/down some presets for the next song.

Is there any solution or workaround?

regards Jens

Never had any noises been created when switching amps. When switching time based effects like reverb and delay artifacts might be created. There are different ways to work around this effect depending on the blocks you use and the way you want to use them. Just attach your preset so we can help debugging it.

Never had any noises been created when switching amps. When switching time based effects like reverb and delay artifacts might be created. There are different ways to work around this effect depending on the blocks you use and the way you want to use them. Just attach your preset so we can help debugging it.

here are 2 example presets. Switching between them causes a pop noise.

Attachments

• clean 1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Crunch 1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
Just checked your presets and there is a low end pop. It is the different amp models of the presets that's causing it. If the Amp Blocks are bypassed, there is no pop. I checked my presets and at first didn't hear any pops but realized my volume pedal was off (I place the volume block after the amp block in all of my presets). Turned the volume up and heard pops when changing presets with different amp models.
Presets that use the same amp model don't pop even if it's changing the X or Y state. Haven't figured out a way to minimize or eliminate it in other than adding a volume block after the amp and turning the volume off.

I still have this issue with the pop noise, even switching between scenes with x/y amps and speakers changes causes pop noises, and like I said - not always but most of the times. And is really loud !

To be honest, I am kind of disappointed - an amazing unit like the AX8 doing these noises. I've been playing with different kinds of amp-sims several years already and now with the AX8 I thought to have the best floorboard ever - and the sound for sure is

Please - let me know if there is any kind of solution ! I love the tones of the AX8 but these pops are really a no go !
How you others handle this problem? Are you not changing amp models between scenes and presets?

How about the Axe-FX II - is doing the same ? Anybody knows?

Just now I found out by experiment that the pop is mostly appearing when switching amp x/y and speaker x/y simultinously. if its only the amp so far I have no pops. Another experiment is showing that only switching the speaker x/y while amp stays in x or y is doing the pop noise.

Last edited:
I use a volume pedal and have it off when changing presets or scenes when not playing. I have not noticed any pops or noise switching presets or scenes while playing.

I still have this issue with the pop noise, even switching between scenes with x/y amps and speakers changes causes pop noises, and like I said - not always but most of the times. And is really loud !

To be honest, I am kind of disappointed - an amazing unit like the AX8 doing these noises. I've been playing with different kinds of amp-sims several years already and now with the AX8 I thought to have the best floorboard ever - and the sound for sure is

Please - let me know if there is any kind of solution ! I love the tones of the AX8 but these pops are really a no go !
How you others handle this problem? Are you not changing amp models between scenes and presets?

How about the Axe-FX II - is doing the same ? Anybody knows?

Just now I found out by experiment that the pop is mostly appearing when switching amp x/y and speaker x/y simultinously. if its only the amp so far I have no pops. Another experiment is showing that only switching the speaker x/y while amp stays in x or y is doing the pop noise.
Start by uploading presets you use here or else we are only guessing.

Start by uploading presets you use here or else we are only guessing.

well, one example of two presets I posted already - but here is another - the one that I am using like a main preset.
I simplyfied the preset - switching from Scene 2 to scene 1 is showing the problem best.
Volume pedal is working for switching between songs but switching from one part of a song to another is bringing this pop noise and I cant use Volume pedal.

Thanks for help !

Attachments

• PopNoiseDemo-2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
I also encountered popping when changing scenes with 10.01. Only one scene was effected.
Iirc there were no X/Y changes or scene controllers involved..
Tomorrow I can check if it still occurs and upload the patch

I have as well. Here's my situation:

1) Three scenes using DC-30: clean, crunch (more drive, less output on same amp) and gain ( crunch + a little Ruckus).
2) Edit any parameter in any scene using AX8-Edit
3) Take a snapshot to my computer
4) Change scene from drive to clean using the physical footswitch
5) LOUD pop!

If I then shut the AX8 off and restart and change from scene 3 (gain) to scene 1 (clean), there is no pop.

Very weird, and far from crippling, since it goes away after I turn the AX8 off. Figured it might be useful for the Fractal guys as they look into any other bugs. I have not been able to reproduce it unless I change on the hardware controller after a snapshot. It SEEMS to only happen after a snapshot, and SEEMS to only happen if I use the hardware switch. I haven't actually tested to see if it happens after I SAVE (as opposed to snapshot), as it's not a crippling issue.

Back
Top Bottom