Poll, Would you buy a relic, or distressed looking new guitar

Would you buy a relic, or distressed looking new guitar

• Total voters
I agree. I tend to loose respect for musicians who don't treat their guitar as the fine instrument it is. Makes me wonder what the inside of their home looks like…or even how they treat the people around them….
I "loose" respect for those who can't spell. Can only imagine what the inside of your home looks like.

I have a roadworn 60's strat that is cool, it's a 2 piece light alder body, Nitro finish (very thin), neck finish is worn off feels awesome, sounds great, very lightweight, very stratty. Fretboard edges are rolled, feels broke in. I have no problem with it being pre-distressed.

I have a roadworn 60's strat that is cool, it's a 2 piece light alder body, Nitro finish (very thin), neck finish is worn off feels awesome, sounds great, very lightweight, very stratty. Fretboard edges are rolled, feels broke in. I have no problem with it being pre-distressed.

Those roadworn fenders are some of the best playing and sounding starts i have played in some time, they did a great job with that series.

Q: How do you price a relic in the future? What is art, and what is gig wear after the fact? So, all relics, because they are beat up to begin with, can't be graded for condition when they resell?

I don't think all relics look bad, I have seen a few Nash Tele's that were very sexy, but, it kills me to see all those incredible Fanos with all that top wear. Meh. I know they make a few unblemished guitars every now and then for more bucks ... maybe the relicing is just easier to do than getting a great finish on a new guitar.

maybe the relicing is just easier to do than getting a great finish on a new guitar.

I don't know if relicing come easy to other people but to me it is something that takes time, the shortest time i have done a relic was 6 months and the longest to date almost 2 years. To me its nothing more then a relaxing time i enjoy concentrating on details and stuff, its real fun for me.

Finishing a guitar to prestine conditions is far less time consuming, not necessarily easier, but faster.

I totally understand people that don't like relics, i don't like relic look on some of my guitars, for example a PRS guitar, there are a few that have done it and they look absolutely horrible, PRS are meant to look amazing, beautiful, shinny and perfect. But a Telecaster for example.... i just love a 52' that looks really well played.

This is my 52' japan, with all poly finish and i managed to relic it, its way harder to do on poly then on Nitro Lacquer, but its feels amazing to me and i just love playing it and looking at it.

And here I thought relic was simply a finish like any other colour, and the buyer could pick exactly the finish he wanted.
Guess I was wrong ;)
Next poll. What do you think about people that buy an orange guitar?

I don't know if relicing come easy to other people but to me it is something that takes time, the shortest time i have done a relic was 6 months and the longest to date almost 2 years. To me its nothing more then a relaxing time i enjoy concentrating on details and stuff, its real fun for me.

Finishing a guitar to prestine conditions is far less time consuming, not necessarily easier, but faster.

I totally understand people that don't like relics, i don't like relic look on some of my guitars, for example a PRS guitar, there are a few that have done it and they look absolutely horrible, PRS are meant to look amazing, beautiful, shinny and perfect. But a Telecaster for example.... i just love a 52' that looks really well played.

This is my 52' japan, with all poly finish and i managed to relic it, its way harder to do on poly then on Nitro Lacquer, but its feels amazing to me and i just love playing it and looking at it.

How did you get the checking on the head stock?

And here I thought relic was simply a finish like any other colour, and the buyer could pick exactly the finish he wanted.
Guess I was wrong ;)
Next poll. What do you think about people that buy an orange guitar?

lol, I know, right?

Reactions: Ole

THIS is a great relic job!!!

I've been experimenting with relicing.....how do you 'color' the fret board wear marks?
I've tried the tea/vinegar/steel wool trick and it looks too gray to me. Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom