• RUBY ROCKET

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • BRIT 800 2203 HIGH

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • SUHR BADGER 18

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Try this one!

I finally got around to trying it, and it was fasntastic! That was fun as hell. I never use a wah, but since I had your preset loaded, I said "What the hell?" and gave it a shot with my expression pedal. Holy crap that was great. I thought your PEQ was really interesting too, how you focused the sound that way. Thanks very much!

I finally got around to trying it, and it was fasntastic! That was fun as hell. I never use a wah, but since I had your preset loaded, I said "What the hell?" and gave it a shot with my expression pedal. Holy crap that was great. I thought your PEQ was really interesting too, how you focused the sound that way. Thanks very much!
Glad that you like it, thanks a lot, I highly appreciate that!

I recently got a PRS which is my first guitar with treble bleed caps. I definitely do find it helpful and think it should probably be standard for most guitars.

I generally lean on the vintage side of things, so the vast majority of my guitars have "50's" Gibson wiring, which is a bit more wonky but does retain more treble when rolling down the volume. Not as much as the treble bleed though
I have 4 totally different PRS guitars. They all clean up very well with the volume control, and still retain the treble excellent. Also, the tone control is great for ‘fine tuning’ the tone.
I cannot say the same for my 2 Gibson Les Paul’s though. I want to change all the pots in those guitars to ‘behave’ like the PRS guitars.
My Fenders work well too.. but that’s a different animal.

I have 4 totally different PRS guitars. They all clean up very well with the volume control, and still retain the treble excellent. Also, the tone control is great for ‘fine tuning’ the tone.
I cannot say the same for my 2 Gibson Les Paul’s though. I want to change all the pots in those guitars to ‘behave’ like the PRS guitars.

Very cool; do you know what kind of wiring your PRS guitars have?

Yea, my experience as well. I've got a couple of LP-style guitars with boutique PAF's etc that will stay traditional, a 50's style Fender Strat that will too, some guitars that I've miraculously left stock that I won't mess with.

But all my other guitars will get the PRS wiring treatment. And I just bought a 1995 Made in Japan Fernandes that I'm planning to source pickups from the Paul's Guitar SE model. Apparently they have an unbalanced coils design that gives a very good hot P90 tone in humbucker mode and an excellent strat single tone when split.

After 30 years of playing guitar I finally get the PRS thing.

Very cool; do you know what kind of wiring your PRS guitars have?
All I know is they’re all stock. These are the models I have…

2005 20th anniversary McCarty (with the different bird pattern on some of them)

2007 Korina w. soap bar (P-90s) AMAZING clean and mid gain tone.. and it screams when you dig into it, plus fantastic sustain.

2010 Swamp Ash 513 .. does lots of ‘tricks’ with the switching system.

2012 Korina NF3. Might be my favorite in the bunch. The narrow field pickups are incredible, and it too sustains forever. Might have something to do with the Korina wood.. I think it’s great. IMHO, the NF3 is the hidden gem of the PRS line. Also Paul’s favorite pickups… they also put them in the Studio model. If you like PRS guitars, I’d highly recommend it. They’re not easy to find, but they’re out there… Reverb (where I got mine from) is a good source.

Yea, my experience as well. I've got a couple of LP-style guitars with boutique PAF's etc that will stay traditional, a 50's style Fender Strat that will too, some guitars that I've miraculously left stock that I won't mess with.

But all my other guitars will get the PRS wiring treatment. And I just bought a 1995 Made in Japan Fernandes that I'm planning to source pickups from the Paul's Guitar SE model. Apparently they have an unbalanced coils design that gives a very good hot P90 tone in humbucker mode and an excellent strat single tone when split.

After 30 years of playing guitar I finally get the PRS thing.
I agree about leaving some guitars alone. I too got on the PRS wagon after 3 decades of playing.

I use the SLO Crunch channel for this. I run it with nearly maxed-out gain and can still roll off and get a great clean or edge-of-breakup. The Crunch channel works better for this than the Lead (largely, I suspect, due to the cold clipper and more aggressive frequency sculpting on the latter). I've previously used a JCM800 or Plexi for this but the SLO's tone stack and gain seems to be slightly less aggressive and better for cleaner tones.

Very clearly we like Marshalls around here! It's really no competition.

With how many votes there are for the Plexi 6CA7 and the JCM 800 2203 I'm betting that if it had been an option the 1970 Plexi 100W would have stolen votes from both camps, since it's got both Plexi character but also higher available gain (possibly higher gain than the 2203, to my ears?)

Going back to the treble bleed topic with @FusionFanatic I wonder if anyone has bothered installing a treble bleed with a switch or push-pull to take it out of circuit. That way you could get a more vintage volume knob response when desired, or a more versatile more modern treble bleed sound.

Also, is there any actual difference between rolling back volume and tone on a treble bleed circuit versus just rolling back volume on a traditional circuit?

is there any actual difference between rolling back volume and tone on a treble bleed circuit versus just rolling back volume on a traditional circuit?

With modern wiring you definitely have a difference in rolling back just the volume vs doing that with a treble bleed. With modern wiring you lose a bit of treble as you roll back, but to my ears you can actually perceptually increase treble with a bleed, depending on which of the many bleeds out there you decide to wire in. My recommendation would be to install the variable treble bleed by PMT available through GuitarElectronics.com, because with that thing you can dial in exactly how much sounds right to you. You can wire it in with a couple of long wires outside your guitar while you figure out the right setting, then reinstall with short wires when you're ready to tuck it in your control cavity.

And to clarify, by modern wiring I mean it as defined in this article: https://www.fralinpickups.com/2020/03/01/50s-wiring-vs-modern-wiring/

Majority of my time has been spent with the 800 100 watt since it came out, and it does it all for me, so I choose that. It's the amp I always wanted and never had.

What cabs it’s do you like with that?

For me the G12T-100, Bassguy, and all three Tweed DynaCabs are great, as well the Brown Super Factory Bank 1, #811. Talk about an amp that can really do anything. To me this is similar to the Plexi 1970 100W, but with more bottom end, which helps my guitar. To me a wide variety of cabs and mics work well with the amp because you can set that amp to be whatever you want, so you just have to decide your mood for that moment. I like the G12T-100 and Bassguy if I want heavy and tough, but I'll go Tweed if I want rude, character filled, and versatility that will almost certainly fit well in a mix.

Going back to the treble bleed topic with @FusionFanatic I wonder if anyone has bothered installing a treble bleed with a switch or push-pull to take it out of circuit. That way you could get a more vintage volume knob response when desired, or a more versatile more modern treble bleed sound.

Also, is there any actual difference between rolling back volume and tone on a treble bleed circuit versus just rolling back volume on a traditional circuit?
I’d like to answer your question, but all I can say is, I would think that a traditional circuit would lose some treble when rolling the volume down vs a treble bleed circuit.
Like I mentioned before… my PRS guitars respond excellent with the volume and tone controls. I keep the high end going from say 10 - 4.. and the tone control rolls down the treble very smooth.. unlike my Gibson’s.

Here is another one. I had massive fun with it the last couple days!
I tried to replicate a Jose modded 100Watt, so have fun.
If you like to thicken up the sound, activate the subtile chorus and enhancer.

Attachments

• 100W JOSE!.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 19
None of the ones on the list for me.

It's either 1959SLP or Plexi 100, I set it and forget it and essentially I have only one kitchen sink preset for all my guitars (these amps are channel 1 and 2 respectively). I tend to prefer the 1959SLP nowadays.

If I want different kind of cleans, it's Tucana for me (channel 3, channel 4 is not used).

That's it.

Back
Top Bottom