POLL: The most accurate PAF replica...

Who makes the most accurate PAF replica today? Must be new manufacture and under $2000 for the set.

• Arcane (Triple Clone, 57 Experience, Tim Pierce Signature)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Klein (Epic Series Wicked, 1958 P.A.F., 1959 P.A.F)

• Manlius (Landmark PAF, Hot Rod 59, 59LT)

• Sigil (Holy Grail 58, Holy Grail 59

• Total voters

Churchhill

Inspired
I'm looking for new pickups for three or four of my guitars and am looking for input from anyone who has tried any of the following. What I'm wanting is a PAF replica or clone that is (mostly) historically accurate in materials and construction, and most importantly gets those great PAF tones. I'd like to find slightly different sounds, each along the same lines, for each of these.

If you have any first-hand experience with any of these, please vote (for up to four) and reply with your experiences, good and bad. Please let me know what you thought of the pickups and, if you've had more than one, how they compared against the other(s) of these sets that you've had.

Also, I could only fit so many on this list. So, if there are any other winders that make really good PAF clones, please let me know. (I've looked at probably 40 additional winders that, for whatever reason, just didn't catch my ear, probably 2000 more than I haven't found, so all suggestions are welcome and I'll take a or another look, even if I already have in the past.)

What I'm looking for is something that I don't already have, that extra 5% of quality if such a thing exists in this case. One tone I'd like to be able to get close to is Jimmy Page on Tea for One from Presence; I don't want to sound like him, just more in the ballpark than I am now. That middle position haunts me...

What the guitars are and what they sound like when not plugged-in and played acoustically:
  • Gibson ES-355 - Sounds great, well balanced, almost scooped.
  • Gibson ES-347 - Great sound, little on the bright side, but strong bass, too, probably from the maple neck.
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom - As with the 347, this one is a little bright, another with a maple neck.
  • (maybe) Gibson Les Paul Standard - little on the darker side, but still very much a Les Paul

Here's a list of other PAF-type pickups I've tried (not necessarily in the above guitars and not in any specific order) and liked:
  • Gibson Custombucker - unpotted A3, 7.9k
  • Gibson MHS - unpotted A2, 7.8k
  • Gibson Burstbucker - unpotted A2, 7.8k
  • BKP Stormy Monday - unpotted A2, 7.9k
  • BKP The Mule - unpotted A4, 8.4k
  • BKP Riff Raff - unpotted A5, 8.3k
  • Seymour Duncan Antiquity - unpotted A2, 7.5k
  • (didn't care for much) Gibson '57 Classic - potted A2, 7.7
For reference, here are links to each of these company's websites:
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!!

I have a/b tested quite a few in vintage Gibsons against real Paf . The first thing to say is real Paf vary a lot so it comes down to what you like.
The most accurate appearance is easy; it is the Throbak and for me I liked it the best too . It is as good as the better originals. The most overrated in that list would be the Ron Ellis IMO . Not to say that they are not good, they are but not better than quite a few of the others.
Best value and easy to get versions I would say are SD Seths and Antiquities, Both way better than most so called boutique versions.
A quick gratuitous Paf pic;
IMG_1944.jpg

Tyson Tone Preacher set is good too, although I’ve never had a real PAF to compare them to. Bobby (the owner/winder) can be a little slow to deliver or respond to emails, but his pickups are awesome IMO. I have a couple of his humbucker sets and a couple of P90 sets.

Most accurate, I don’t know, but Amber Pickup’s ‘Spirit of 59’ set uses the correct parts and def. is a noticeable step up from the installed pickups on my Gibson ‘98 Les Paul. It brings more clarity, less mush. It ended my search for a PAF replacement.

https://www.amberpickups.com/humbucker

That's good to hear! I'd seen AmberPickups, but hadn't located many reviews or other info outside their website. I'll look into them some more!

Found a couple of other German winders, too, that are in the same category... just not much other info.
https://www.kloppmann-electrics.com/en/pickups/paf-humbucker/
https://haeussel.com/index.php?id=22&L=1

BTW, thanks so much for all your work on the Guides for the Amp Models and Drive Models! I've referred to them at least as much as I refer to the AFX3 manual and they were a big part of why I bought my AFX3. I know that was a tremendous effort on your part and it's greatly appreciated!

Immediately noticed Doyle Coils missing from your list: https://www.doylecoils.com/

Wasn't Tom Doyle actually Les Paul's guitar tech? That must've been an amazing experience, bet he's got a ton of stories, not to mention everything he learned along the way.

Do you have any experience with his pickups? What do they sound like? I know Les Paul experimented with low impedance and other designs and I'm wondering if that had any influence over Doyle's take on a PAF.

I've got real vintage 59 PAF's in my 69 LP, and the closest I've played to them were Sheptones...

https://www.sheptone.com/collections/humbuckers

I've heard tons of good things about Sheptones, but was wondering if there'd been some change with them recently. Everything on their website appears to be on sale and I noticed they're now available at Musician's Friend, not that there's anything wrong with that. My concern would be if they have boosted production and if that has had any impact on their quality.

Jim Wagner Pickups (WCR) American Steele Set (Godwood bridge / Crossroads neck).

I remember first hearing about WCR about 10 years ago, loved the demos I heard. I noticed that their website still has a 2013 copyright date on it and was wondering if they're still around.

Wasn't Tom Doyle actually Les Paul's guitar tech? That must've been an amazing experience, bet he's got a ton of stories, not to mention everything he learned along the way.

Do you have any experience with his pickups? What do they sound like? I know Les Paul experimented with low impedance and other designs and I'm wondering if that had any influence over Doyle's take on a PAF.
I believe so!
I haven't had the opportunity to try them personally yet but I've been researching PAFs and replicas for years and if was to order a PAF replica set now it would most likely be these.
From what I've heard and gathered Doyles are a very open take on the PAF tone. Like, the difference even compared to Wizz or other PAF replica sets that are considered the higher end is very apparaent.
This is a good video to watch:
To me the Doyles are pretty much the only set that sound quite different (and to me also more pleasing) to all the others.
And yeah, judging by the tone, the lower impedance influence kinda makes sense - to me they sound really very open.
I don't know if glassy is the right word but they sound more piano-like to me than the other sets.

I have a/b tested quite a few in vintage Gibsons against real Paf . The first thing to say is real Paf vary a lot so it comes down to what you like.
The most accurate appearance is easy; it is the Throbak and for me I liked it the best too . It is as good as the better originals. The most overrated in that list would be the Ron Ellis IMO . Not to say that they are not good, they are but not better than quite a few of the others.
Best value and easy to get versions I would say are SD Seths and Antiquities, Both way better than most so called boutique versions.
A quick gratuitous Paf pic;
View attachment 140697

Nice!! I've thought about looking for some originals, but I'd worry about originality or condition, not to mention that's a LOT of money these days. Still, though...

I think you've posted before about preferring Throbak's SLE-101 set. What's your experience with any of their other models? In particular, I've been looking at their KZ-115, mostly because of the difference in coil geometry vs the Leesona wound models. But, all their models look good and they seem to cover most if not all of the variations of the originals.

I was wondering, too, what your observations are with any possible differences in sound between nickel and gold plated covers? I've seen some references to the plating requirements being different... IIRC, nickel being difficult but not impossible without a layer of copper and gold being impossible without the copper layer, and that layer having an effect on the resultant tone, but... that may be snake oil or not entirely accurate. I'd guess that only really matters if the difference between brass and steel bobbin screws is important to the end user and possibly only a minor difference, anyway, which would go out the window if the covers are removed. I'm more curious than anything.

Being that I've never owned a guitar with original PAF's in them, I can't say. But I do have a guitar with Duncan Seth Lovers in them, so I'm guessing they're pretty close since he invented them.

Me, either... I haven't tried the Seth Lovers but do have a set of Antiquities and they are really nice. As far as I can tell, there's not a world of difference between those two models, other than the aging and the Antiquities being a little overwound compared to the Lovers.

I agree with @Andy Eagle that the most easily obtained and best value are the Seth Lovers. I've used many Duncans over the years and have always had good luck with their quality.

Tyson Tone Preacher set is good too, although I’ve never had a real PAF to compare them to. Bobby (the owner/winder) can be a little slow to deliver or respond to emails, but his pickups are awesome IMO. I have a couple of his humbucker sets and a couple of P90 sets.

Definitely heard of Tyson Tone... thanks for the recommendation! Personally, I don't mind waiting a bit if the end result is worth it and these have been weel reviewed by many.

Slightly off topic, but what do you think of his P90s? I've been looking at those lately, too, have loved P90s since my first set of Lollar's about 21 years ago and have been thinking about getting something new for an LP Jr.

I believe so!
I haven't had the opportunity to try them personally yet but I've been researching PAFs and replicas for years and if was to order a PAF replica set now it would most likely be these.
From what I've heard and gathered Doyles are a very open take on the PAF tone. Like, the difference even compared to Wizz or other PAF replica sets that are considered the higher end is very apparaent.
This is a good video to watch:
To me the Doyles are pretty much the only set that sound quite different (and to me also more pleasing) to all the others.
And yeah, judging by the tone, the lower impedance influence kinda makes sense - to me they sound really very open.
I don't know if glassy is the right word but they sound more piano-like to me than the other sets.

I can definitely relate to doing a lot of research but not having tried everything... there are so many options these days and it's not always easy to tell what is marketing and what is actually a worthwhile purchase. Tom Doyle certainly has the credentials!

Thanks for that video, too! I've watched a number of his videos and think they're pretty good. At least the recording seems well done and consistent, as is the playing and the guitar. Makes it a little easier to judge one set against another, but even then, it's kind of grabbing at straws. None of them will sound the same in my guitar under my fingers, if you know what I mean. That's part of why I started this thread, just to find out what others' actual experiences have been. If someone makes a personal connection with a pickup, maybe I could, too, and would be something I'd want to consider, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom