FM3 Turbo or FM9 Turbo for backup/home use

• FM3 Turbo

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • FM9 Turbo

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Neither, buy a new guitar instead!

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters
If I was gigging a ton, I would get a 2nd unit to match the one I am playing out with... Otherwise I would go with the Axe III for home

I have 2 FM9 Turbos, only because I am now playing in a big show band (AC/DC tribute), and sometimes travel 4 hours from home for the shows. Just being prepared. I only use one preset, but I use the pitch follower for a little more grit on the solos higher up the neck, so I can keep the rhythm parts cleaner.

We travel with a backup unit but for my personal stuff I just have one FM9. I own a Helix & HX Stomp I can use in a pinch. Unless your monitoring and acoustic treatment are both already 10/10 I would put the money into that.

Originally, my gigging rig was a 100w tube head with my Axe-FX III in the loop, the latter of which was also my backup if the amp or something else died. Now the Axe-FX III is racked for home/recording use only.

I have an FM9 that I'd use for gigging. If anything, I'd get an FM3 to complement that. I could use one or the other depending on how much size mattered, and the other could be my backup.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm now leaning toward the FM3T, but I'm going to give it some more thought. I also thought I'd share my backup "rig" that I bring with me to gigs (stays in my car). It's not much but it would get me through a show in a pinch.
Backup rig.png
Backup rig-2.png

I have all 3. Axe IIIT stays at home. FM9T gets the gig, FM3T is waiting in the wings......after 6 years gigging Fractal gear....not even once did I have to switch a unit out.
:::::knock on wood::::

I'm recently picked up a used FM9 (non-Turbo) and am currently using this as my primary gig/rehearsal rig. I now use my FM3 as back up and for home use.

Back
Top Bottom