Polarized Sunglasses can effect the readability of the FM9 screen-Thanks to all for helping solve this

Hi, I was playing an outdoor gig yesterday. 68 degrees and we were covered under a tent, so almost equivalent to being indoors. An hour in my Main screen display was half-faded (only could read of the letters) and the smaller display screen LEDs all turned blue in the corners. My main input 1 guitar worked fine. I also have an acoustic I run using input 2. That all of as sudden just became distorted. I tried shutting down and rebooting, but that did not solve the issue. I just stayed with the electric for the balance of the gig but the screens did not correct. After the gig when I was breaking down before I turned the unit off, the screens all cleared and everything was fine. (I was running 4.01 beta, but have been for months and never had a single issue)
Has anyone had this occur?

Was the FM9 in the shade, or the sun? A black device in sunlight won't stay at ambient temperature, but if it got hot its fan should have spun up, which, at 68º should have kept it plenty cool.

The acoustic's battery was good? They'll get very distorted when the battery is low or dies. And, batteries lose power as the temperature goes down so it might have been in a brown-out situation. Once the temperature rises the voltage will too.

You might open the unit and check to see that the ribbon cables are fully seated.

Was the FM9 in the shade, or the sun? A black device in sunlight won't stay at ambient temperature, but if it got hot its fan should have spun up, which, at 68º should have kept it plenty cool.

The acoustic's battery was good? They'll get very distorted when the battery is low or dies. And, batteries lose power as the temperature goes down so it might have been in a brown-out situation. Once the temperature rises the voltage will too.

You might open the unit and check to see that the ribbon cables are fully seated.
Thanks for the quick reply. It was in the shade. I ruled out weather or sun, was really ideal for an outdoor day. I put a brand new battery in the acoustic as I do before every gig. I figured it could be the battery so I changed it out on the fly. That was not the issue. The screens were the alarming part. But totally back to normal now. I will look into the ribbon cable suggestion. Thanks a lot!

Hi, I was playing an outdoor gig yesterday. 68 degrees and we were covered under a tent, so almost equivalent to being indoors. An hour in my Main screen display was half-faded (only could read of the letters) and the smaller display screen LEDs all turned blue in the corners. My main input 1 guitar worked fine. I also have an acoustic I run using input 2. That all of as sudden just became distorted. I tried shutting down and rebooting, but that did not solve the issue. I just stayed with the electric for the balance of the gig but the screens did not correct. After the gig when I was breaking down before I turned the unit off, the screens all cleared and everything was fine. (I was running 4.01 beta, but have been for months and never had a single issue)
Has anyone had this occur?
I experience issues with the foot switch screens every time I take the FM9 someplace and then return home. Upon starting the unit up after transport (at any temperature), it takes a while for the display strips to "level out." They always start out with the non-text background being partially or fully darkened. After a while it self corrects. Same thing when returning home. I leave my FM9 on 24/7 when home, so not sure if it would occur from regular power cycling.

I've never experienced inconsistencies with the big screen, however. From what you described, it sounds like the unit may have been power starved since everything came back during tear down. Perhaps other things being turned off for tear down provided enough juice for the FM9 to pull what it needed. Just a thought.

I experience issues with the foot switch screens every time I take the FM9 someplace and then return home. Upon starting the unit up after transport (at any temperature), it takes a while for the display strips to "level out." They always start out with the non-text background being partially or fully darkened. After a while it self corrects. Same thing when returning home. I leave my FM9 on 24/7 when home, so not sure if it would occur from regular power cycling.

I've never experienced inconsistencies with the big screen, however. From what you described, it sounds like the unit may have been power starved since everything came back during tear down. Perhaps other things being turned off for tear down provided enough juice for the FM9 to pull what it needed. Just a thought.
The power is an interesting point. It was the first gig we switched to a new longer cable to keep the stage looking cleaner. We still use one access point for power, but I now wonder if that new power set up is the culprit! I have used the new power set up during rehearsal a few times, but i wonder if the draw from the venue was less. Ill bet that explains it. Thank you!!!

The power is an interesting point. It was the first gig we switched to a new longer cable to keep the stage looking cleaner. We still use one access point for power, but I now wonder if that new power set up is the culprit! I have used the new power set up during rehearsal a few times, but i wonder if the draw from the venue was less. Ill bet that explains it. Thank you!!!
You might want to invest in a power strip with a voltage readout, so you can check it it's fading badly, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Always a precaution, so that the devices have quality power. In our electronics business we have seen sensitive equipment damaged by poor power and now ship our rental test equipment with power conditioners.

@Mike Modeler,

When my FM9 went in for repair, FAS service cautioned me about environmental factors, likely power fluctuations, excessive heat and humidity. Any or all 3 of these can disrupt normal FM9 operation. Check your manual for normal external operating temperatures.

Since it was an outdoor gig, were you by chance wearing polarized sunglasses? That will make the LCD's look all kind of funky.
Turns out, that is exactly what it was. Power was fine. I just tried the sunglasses back on and looked. That explains the screens. 100%. simple, obvious and something I could not figure out! Thanks!
as far as the acoustic guitar in input 2. To to be a battery issue.
The Fractal performed as it should! My issues seem to have been other factors. Thanks so much for pointing this out!

Just checked with a pair of polarized Maui Jims and it's wonky but readable. Glad this came up before festival season!

Back
Top Bottom