AFIII Podcast Intro? Why Not

Reminds me a bit of some Rilo Kiley stuff. Nice!
Thanks. I vaguely know who they are from a long time ago. :D

Wasn't aiming for anything in particular just "more pop" than I'd usually do so the young 'uns at work wouldn't be all, "uggggh...old man....".

I've been recording guitar for a long time now as a hobbyist. Far far from an expert. And I constantly need to remind myself that what I record is probably not what I should actually imprint into the track. I wanted something super fuzzy for this track. It's pop so I didn't want the guitar tones to be Super Serious (tm).
But I was having trouble both finding the right fuzzed out tone and playing it well.

Instead of recording a fuzzy tone, I just pulled up my SLO preset and used it's Lead scene. And then I EQed it into the fuzzy tones I thought the track deserved. It's wild how different the printed sound is from the recorded sound.

Here's the isolated guitar track as printed:

And here it is as recorded:

Crazy what you can do "in the studio". Anyhow...remember that when you're chasing your demons and your hero's recorded tones?

Maybe not what you want to hear, but in isolation, personally I much prefer the As Recorded version.
I'd love to hear that with the rest of the tracks.

I thought the fuzzed out tone was kind of unique sounding in the mix when I first listened to it.

It was unexpected to be honest, but I liked it!

I agree with @Dave Merrill that I prefer the as recorded in isolation... But I'm betting it would sound a bit flat in that mix.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but in isolation, personally I much prefer the As Recorded version.
I'd love to hear that with the rest of the tracks.
Oh, I prefer the SLO tones as recorded. But I feel the altered tones suit the track and vibe much better. It's more pop, more synth and fuzz.

Here it is with the SLO tones un-fuzzed (because technology makes this so easy to do):

It's just a little more -- pedestrian.

Very cool - sounds great! While the "as recorded" is a better tone of course, the fuzzed-out version is more interesting to my ear, at least in the context of a podcast intro. The rhythm wah guitar is cool too. What's the keyboard(ish) backing - is it a loop you found or something you came up with?

The rhythm wah guitar is cool too.
Treadle Phaser model! It's my favorite phaser model these days. I think it was based off of an old Morley phaser @Admin M@ owns IIRC.

Settings were:

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 1.09.10 PM.png

What's the keyboard(ish) backing - is it a loop you found or something you came up with?
Something I wrote and played. It's based around the ES2 VSTi in Logic Pro X being fed by the Arp arpeggiator module.

Treadle Phaser model! It's my favorite phaser model these days. I think it was based off of an old Morley phaser @Admin M@ owns IIRC.
Yes, I got that Morley Tel-Ray Pro Phase from a friend in 1982 for $15! It is pristine and sounds amazing, but I was SO impressed when Cliff created the Axe-Fx version that I have not plugged it in ever since.
@iaresee, you've got yours dialed in just right, to my ears :)

Back
Top Bottom