Plugins On 2nd Computer, Over Lan

jesussaddle

Power User
Hey, I have finally come to needing more power. In Reaper, Hans Zimmer Piano (stunning) was a Ram hog on my 6 gigs; but this virtual instrument did not fry my 2.33 ghz cpu. t was a thing called NI Polyplex, a hugely cool drum instrument, that finally wrought this devastating blow.

Anyway, to get to the point, since I have a second, very new computer (to slave), I could imagine using LAN, and hosting the plugins on this and perhaps more computers (a "farm", like a "render farm" as they say in 3D animation industry), and basically just syncing to my music PC soundcard, while many vsts could be hosted on the slave/s. How much of the load from the plugins to my CPU is possible? I realize I there might be a point where this would do little good, and this would strictly help in terms of vsts and not in terms of the audio tracks, is this right? (although perhaps Cockos ReaStream might play a role there - if more people understood how to use it).

(In the meantime, as a band aid I have since taken to constantly adjusting my Asio Driver settings from a buffer size of 256 to anywhere up to 4 times this size depending on what I am throwing at the Cores - and while this does the trick, even for Aalto and Kaivo, which are amazing but CPU-hungry devils, I'm only running a couple of plugins at a time even then - a "farm" would allow me to change my habits and not need to freeze and inch through the auditioning of new ideas, but to try out several plugins simultaneously without the latency climbing above 20 or 30 ms, which IMO is too much).

Vienna Ensemble Pro is one possibility, but its a little costly, complex, and it requires dongles in each PC.

There was a video from 6 years ago, referencing IP MIDI (available from nerd.de), and AudioPort (by audioimpressions.com , at the moment this is not an up-&-running affair.)

I also saw something called Jack and Jacknone, which are open source deals that may or may not have anything to do with my need; but appear related.

Wouldn't it be a shame if availing ourselves of two or more computers (a music "farm") was a never-fully-realized art?

Its shocking to consider the amount of hours of installation spent on a music computer with lots of synths and FX. To re-install & re-license years of plugin and utilities all at once with each new PC/Mac (Coke/Pepsi?) performance rise is not the ideal situation; it would be more ideal to have access to the installations of the past, at least for a certain period, without needing to re-install/re-license everything.

If you use Ensemble Pro, Cockos ReaMote (included in Reaper), or something else, or have any other news about this topic, I sure could use a hand, thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom