Plugging directly into cab

grizzly_onhc

Hey everyone, hope everything is well and you're preparing well for holiday season!
I wanted to kindly ask for advice from people who may know the answer to my situation. As a disclaimer, I'm experienced with guitar rig in general, but have never used a load box previously (I have a feeling that's what I'll need).
The situation is as follows. I play live through my AX8 or FX2 (depending on the circumstances), and usually send 1 signal directly to the PA (no issues there), and one signal to the return of the amps fx loop for self-monitoring on stage. I have both Amp and Cab sims on. I've moved to a new country, and unfortunately my amp is stuck in Europe, and I don't think I'll will be able to ship it to myself anytime soon. But, I do have a live show coming up.
I was wounder if it's humanly possible to skip purchasing/renting/bowering someone's amp just to use its fx loop, to send the signal to the cab. Is there a standalone fx loop that would convert my signal to be adequate for 8 or 16 omh cab? Once again, to reiterate, my goal is to send my signal that needs no editing out of my Axe product to a cabinet without having an amp with an FX loop.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hey everyone, hope everything is well and you're preparing well for holiday season!
I wanted to kindly ask for advice from people who may know the answer to my situation. As a disclaimer, I'm experienced with guitar rig in general, but have never used a load box previously (I have a feeling that's what I'll need).
The situation is as follows. I play live through my AX8 or FX2 (depending on the circumstances), and usually send 1 signal directly to the PA (no issues there), and one signal to the return of the amps fx loop for self-monitoring on stage. I have both Amp and Cab sims on. I've moved to a new country, and unfortunately my amp is stuck in Europe, and I don't think I'll will be able to ship it to myself anytime soon. But, I do have a live show coming up.
I was wounder if it's humanly possible to skip purchasing/renting/bowering someone's amp just to use its fx loop, to send the signal to the cab. Is there a standalone fx loop that would convert my signal to be adequate for 8 or 16 omh cab? Once again, to reiterate, my goal is to send my signal that needs no editing out of my Axe product to a cabinet without having an amp with an FX loop.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
You need a power amp... The Fractal devices don't provide amplification.

I typically send Out 1 to FOH, then have them send me my guitar signal back to the provided wedge along with whatever else I need. The same for the other band members and their wedges and any side-fills.

You need a power amp... The Fractal devices don't provide amplification.
Thank you for the replies. I understand that, and I guess I have phrased my question poorly. I'm trying to figure out what alternative device I could use to send my signal out of my ax8 to a guitar cabinet without using an amp. Is that possible?
I typically send Out 1 to FOH, then have them send me my guitar signal back to the provided wedge along with whatever else I need. The same for the other band members and their wedges and any side-fills.
Yep, I send one of my outputs to FOH, however, If that's the only signal I'm sending, I often find the signal extremely muffled when mixed with the rest of the band (another guitar, bass, drums, vocals), especially when the venue doesn't have a great sound system, hence that's why I like to send it both to FOH and the cab behind me

Last edited:
Thank you folks. My follow-up to this would be if. for example, if a 20W amp would produce a different sounds then a 100W one, given that I'm ONLY using the FX loop?

Thank you folks. My follow-up to this would be if. for example, if a 20W amp would produce a different sounds then a 100W one, given that I'm ONLY using the FX loop?
when you plug into the FX Loop return only on an amp, you're basically just using the power amp. so in the past, you've just been plugging into a power amp, and you would need another power amp to make your cab produce sound.

20 watts will produce less power than 100 watts, and the tone may be different due to the speakers getting less or more power to move the speakers, as well as the tone difference between quiet and loud volumes.

I would say it depends on the power amp your using! Is it tube based 6V6, EL84 or EL34 or SS Class D or Class AB ? different power amps will have a different sonic footprint and headroom abilities.

Back
Top Bottom