Plexi. Who's got one?

Well damn.

Just bought that cab pack, tried it with the Brit 800 Mod (I've been meaning to get into Marshalls, I usually play very high gain metal amps).

There goes my afternoon. What a phenomenal IR. Thank you for the suggestion, I can't stop playing!

You’re welcome Teun! I use it with my 80’s metal preset using the 800 mod as well and it absolutely nails it. For the standard 800 I‘d also recommend the YA T75 pack.
I really can’t praise the YA IRs enough.

I’ve played Plexies for decades and now, in the black magic box, the Plexies are my go-to amps.
My advice, should you want it, use any ampmodel with the word “Plexi” in the name, dime MV, dial in a hefty amount of gain and then make magic by fiddling around with the Bright Cap. If you engage the boost, give the Boss OD a try. Still not hot enough, flick on the Saturation switch. And, depending on the IR you are using, going to the Output EQ page and adding 2 to 3 db on 2kHz can also make a more than subtle difference. And as always, low cut at around 100 Hz.

Sounds like lots of you have a recipe. Share a patch!

I don't subscribe to the 'pre-rolla celestion' mythos. I've played plenty of Marshalls through my 90s V-30 cab with fun results. That's just me.

I owned a ‘69 Plexi and a ‘73 Marshall Major. The cabinet is a huge factor to the tone.

I also had very good results using a Marshall (ValveState works very good) with power amp modeling on) thru a good 4/12 cab.

Now I’m mostly using a pair of Atomic CLR’s and using York Audio IR’s. The amount of excellent tones you can get with a good FR and the right IR’s surpasses what a single Marshall cabinet can get... but not that coveted ‘air in the room’.. which matters less when recording / going thru a PA / or bedroom playing.

The M25 Greenbacks / Mix 1 sounds killer for my tastes. Works really good for all the Plexi’s IMO.. but I use a few other mix’s for a different color. If you’re using high gain, the York Mesa Standard V30 mix 1 can also sound great too.

As when I owned the real thing and with the Axe III (I regrettably sold the ‘69 plexi a long time ago) .. I most always turn the mids up to around 7. Marshall’s IMO open up with mids. Adjust bass and treble to taste.

My fav Plexis are the 1987 and 6CA7. I’m using Leon Todd’s LT TV mix 7. I use that one on almost everything.

I just made Gary Moore - The Loner live 1987 Boston Patch with the 1970 Plexi and a TS808 to Boost it, it rips, its really spot on even with my strat and not high output bridge pickup, caught me by surprise. Uber T75 cab.

My favorite marshall in the Axe is the Brit Silver with the ML MARS Silver pack. Keep the gain under 9 or it goes to fuzz, and keep the master down so the EQ still works :p

... dimed a Marshall Mosfet into the woods. The best surround reverb in existence.

I've been doing a lot of camping in national forests and sometimes the birds have that "forest reverb" sound which has that natural surround.

I was wondering just the other day if Cliff or someone could capture some forest IRs or develop a forest reverb algorithm/preset.

Back
Top Bottom