Plexi 50 - 1971 Les Paul Makeover

Gamedojo

Power User
I've been working on my Old '71 les paul this week. New pickups, bridge, Tailpiece. Reworked the pots and tone caps. Action and setup and I think she is getting closer to what I want out of her. She's not perfect, but there is only so much you can do with a guitar that probably doesn't have "IT".

50 Watt Marshall with lots of good reverb

50 Watt Marshall with much less reverb:)

PATCH DOWNLOAD if anyone's intersested.

1971_lp_3.8.15.jpg

Last edited:
Love those punchy middy tones, Tyler - very Joe Bonamassa-like!

That Les Paul doesn't sound too shabby at all :)

Sounds really good Tyler! You may have saved the '71, with what you've changed, as it doesn't sound like a wall-hanger.

Lee

Nice!

What do you feel it's missing Tyler?

Terry.

... Its hard to put into words. But I don't really feel like I'm playing the guitar, but rather it plays me.

Playing unplugged makes this very apparent. I don't get the vibe that I'm playing a wood instrument. It does ring out, and it sounds like a guitar, but it doesn't have that deep dynamic woodiness Feel that I would want out of a guitar. It COULD be a lot to do with me being more of a strat guy, but i've heard plenty of holy grail LPs on videos and recordings to know I'm not crazy.

I'm about 99.99% sure there is nothing I could do to improve this current les paul though. I think its inherit tone is what it is.

Well, if it hasn't unplugged this sustain and vibe, then there is probably not much you can do - but still it sounds nice, cause of you're playing and you definitly a Strat or Tele guy...:eagerness:

I had a tone pros locking bridge, tone pros tail piece, tone pros kluson tuners and a custom bone nut put into my Les Paul Custom.

That really made the unplugged sound come alive.

Dude, I'm drooling for that guitar... someday, someday. I hope this GAS doesn't kill me... :lol

Would be interested if you ever got rid of guitar or the original pups, if you still have them ......lol. The Norlin les pauls kinda have a bad rap but I love them. Definitely a different vibe than a strat though. Sounds great but just depends what sound you have in your head that you are trying to get out there.

Nice playing!!

Back
Top Bottom