Plexi “fatcap” as found in Eddie’s amp… does the “fat” switch simulate this?

Random Hero

Inspired
I know it makes sense but is the fat switch in the tonestack the same deal as the “fatcap” or is there something else to change to get that fatcap tone?

I'm sure the fat switch is located on the tone stack and shifts the mid/treble frequencies down.

The fat cap on Eddie's amp is different and is a cathode bypass capacitor on v2a on a Marshall Super Lead and basically allows most of the entire frequency range through the gain stage, rather than just mainly mids, high mids and treble frequecies, so the sound is bit fuller and "fatter" but can also mean flubby and less tight depending on your tastes.

I remember Cliff saying there is no way for the user to change the bypass caps in the models, but I suppose maybe adding a touch more low mids to the amps input eq may get you a bit closer to emulating that.

I know it makes sense but is the fat switch in the tonestack the same deal as the “fatcap” or is there something else to change to get that fatcap tone?
Not the same. The fat cap I’m VH’s amp is inter stage . If you’re looking for early VH tone just grab Rocco Pezzin’s VH preset. That, with the Jalen FW pickup, is absolutely spot on.

Back
Top Bottom