Please recommend me monitors for live use

RCFnx10 or 12

the fact that they are a coaxial monitors make them sound way more even in front of it.
the 10's are really small

Love my 2 CLR Neo's. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy so I got these for monitors for the band, monitors for me if the other is covered, and tops to go with my QSC HPR 15 subs for smaller venues. To me, sounds great in all circumstance so far. I bet the others monitors mentioned do as well, just don't have experience to offer on them.

Yep - your CLRs do sound good Bill.

A pair of Atomic CLR Neo Actives would kick butt! You can even fold FOH and your signal together into each of them and control volume on each signal independently.

Reactions: sam
You can also do a search here for some of the speaker shootouts that were done in the past... a lot of info there as well...

RCF NX12SMA, great as a floor wedge, side fill, or back line. Been using it for years now, without a single failure in operation or sound. This speaker ended my FRFR search.

haven't gassed for anything since I got a pair of the atomic clrs. before them I was constantly trying and tweaking amplification options.

I highly recommend them from personal experience.

I've been using my qsc k12 for years, since the tail end of my ultra. Patches translate well with FOH, lots of sound guys use QSC stuff so that is no surprise.

I got to play through ethomas's CLR Neo (albeit briefly) and it's the best one I've heard (have also used the QSCs, behringers, and EVs). It's also super light.

CLR, RCF NX-10/12-SMA or Dynacord AXM-12a.
I second the hype/ harsh opinion about the QSC K-series and my thoughts about the Verve is well known. ;-)

I don't mind that. I have never used a modeller before and have absolutely no idea where to start so any comments are cool. Happy to spend up to $1000 per monitor if it is worth it.

Get two Atomic CLR Neo's. You won't be disappointed. If weight isn't an issue for you then you can save some money and get the regular non neo version.

I've been using my qsc k12 for years, since the tail end of my ultra. Patches translate well with FOH, lots of sound guys use QSC stuff so that is no surprise.

Ditto. I've been ising QSC K10s for about 3 years now. No issues. They sound good, are reliable and light! If you're using it as a stage monitor, what people hear will (usually) be coming from the mains anyway. I tend to not fuss about stage monitors too much, as long as I can hear and it sounds good. It may not sound "fantastic" but Your stage monitor makes a pretty small contribution to the overall sound. I recently added a wireless in-ear system to my rack, and at venues that have a competent soundman, I don't even use a guitar cab.

You can spend a lot more money for something that will only make a marginal difference in your sound. I know... I'm sure the Friedman and the CLRs, etc sound great, but when I record, I go direct. When I play live, what people hear is the mains (usually mono) in the hands of a sound man. I'd rather spend the extra cash on another cool guitar :).

The friedmans are only $800 cmpared to $1000 for the CLRs. If they sound just as good I'm tempted to go that route. I've read threads stating they were great but have not come across a direct comparison.

One thing that I think is specific to the AX8.. I really think a powered monitor is the way to go over a seperat power amp. With the Axe fx2 you have to carry a rack anyway, but with the ax8.. just a monitor or two and the ax8, grab a guitar and you are done.

I'll second the Atomic CLR Neo's as my favorite solution. I got a pair used cheap locally in perfect shape. Lucky me. I also have a non-Neo and I find the weigh difference significant. The non-Neos aren't insanely heavy, but for my +50 back the Neos make the carrying easy.

I also have a pair of RCF NX10's which I like a lot. They were the first solution where I felt like I was no longer underserving the Axe with my monitoring. They are very directional by design which is great for some situations and not so much for others. I sometimes use my cabinet as backline to carry a small room and in those conditions, the spread of the CLR makes a difference. The RCFs are also Neo and the weight and form factor are great. If anyone is looking for a pair of NX10s, I would sell mine reasonably. They're in great shape with covers. Probably gigged one of them 8-10x, rarely super loud. Never needed 2 for volume. They're plenty loud for someone used to gigging 20 watt tube amps.

Another QSC guy here. In one band, we're using my K12s for FOH and one of the other guy's K10s for wedge monitors (with the FOH mix daisy-chained to them...we hear FOH through our wedges). Both guitarists (one guy on acoustic and me on electric) are running through the PA only with no separate onstage speakers.

In another band I use one or two K12s as my onstage guitar "cabs" and run a line to FOH as well. The other guitarist in that band is playing through a 2x12 combo amp, so the onstage mix works better if I'm also running an onstage cab.

I am finding your responses really helpful. Thank you!

I am very much a tube amp guitar player. Never been into the digital revolution until I got the fX8. I have since soldcirca 60 pedals and delay units. It is important that I hear my sound so the monitors are purely for me to hear what I am playing. I play Friedman and Carol Ann amps at the moment. I only take a single amp to a gig. I am thinking AX8 so I have a whole bunch of amps. The key being I get the full benefit of the Tone. I want the monitors to be my speakers. There will be nothing else through them~not initially anyway. The CLR' S appear to be well liked.
I want to make a single choice and avoid the whole this amp works well with this cab with this speaker drama. It is time to settle down.

Cheers Rich

Back
Top Bottom