Please, please no more daily Updates!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ludicrous....i haven't had to retweak anything in forever. seriously, what are some of you guys doing in your presets that subtle improvements to the power amp modeling totally throws your presets out of whack? i just call total BS

Bingo. 18.11 didn't even update the modeling.

What I'm curious about is, what the beta-testers are being told to do. Is this just a "Here's a new version, play with it, use it. If there are no problems, I'll release" or is it a "Ok so I have 10 beta-testers and 200 amps. Let's give every beta-tester 10 amps and tell them to turn every knob from min to max and see, if it reacts the way it should. The same with the effects."

What about this not-working UltraRes? Are there guys among the beta-testers, who like to do measurements? I think this bug should have been discovered a LOT earlier (easy to say, I know).

So, how do those beta-testers work? How are they supposed to work?

Some weeks ago I had the idea to do exactly what I proposed, turn every knob on every amp and effect. But it takes time, too much time for one guy. But I did it and immediately discovered things, which I reported immediately.

What I'm curious about is, what the beta-testers are being told to do. Is this just a "Here's a new version, play with it, use it. If there are no problems, I'll release" or is it a "Ok so I have 10 beta-testers and 200 amps. Let's give every beta-tester 10 amps and tell them to turn every knob from min to max and see, if it reacts the way it should. The same with the effects."

What about this not-working UltraRes? Are there guys among the beta-testers, who like to do measurements? I think this bug should have been discovered a LOT earlier (easy to say, I know).

So, how do those beta-testers work? How are they supposed to work?

Some weeks ago I had the idea to do exactly what I proposed, turn every knob on every amp and effect. But it takes time, too much time for one guy. But I did it and immediately discovered things, which I reported immediately.

While beta testing is not the enviable task everyone thinks it is, I too wonder how some bugs get passed them.
I don't know what the solution is either. It takes so many hours and a huge commitment to beta test. Most people just don't have the hours spare to put the proper time in. I know I certainly would not. Are any of the beta testers full-time employees or is to all done in their spare time? If that is the case, there is no other option than to put it to the public to find stuff that has slipped through.
If that is the only way, I don't have a problem with it. Just wish people were less aggressive when someone actually finds something. It's getting to a point where the reaction to any issue raised is to turn on the OP. When that UltraRes post appeared, it took 4 pages of the OP getting grief before the bug was acknowledged.
I am relatively new to the Axe. It has taken me a while to get used to the Fractal way of doing things :) It's a very small company and I understand that things are just the way they are. The mob mentality by some on here is a bit cringeworthy at times.

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the comments, I´ve not expect that you love this little Thread so much...
When I read your kindly Posts I understand again why this World is like it is...
Why so much hate, I just asked for better Quality Updates? This Thread is not about "whether God exists or not.."
I fear that my house burnt down and my Wife and children be raped and murdered, just because i wrote a post about a f...king Software.
Calm down, a short walk through the Woods or just a cold Beer may help...

Regards
Hellraiser

Just wish people were less aggressive when someone actually finds something. It's getting to a point where the reaction to any issue raised is to turn on the OP. When that UltraRes post appeared, it took 4 pages of the OP getting grief before the bug was acknowledged.

Exactly!

That's why from now on, I'll post EVERY bug I find, no matter if it seems logical or not. Starting this afternoon! (Have the time and mood, so we'll see if I find something :D )

We have to remember, that Cliff is the ONLY one, who works on the code for the firmwares! I'd recommend to at least let somebody else look over the code and see, if there are mistakes in it, like this missing ; which caused the UltraRes to not work. That's something which can happen to every developer, which is why it's so important to have a second pair of eyes on it. On the other hand, shouldn't a compiler output a warning message on this??

Well, I don't know anything about code debugging. Just a guitarist :)
I will say that although I mentioned about the beta testers not picking up on things, we don't actually get to see all the bugs they do find before anything is released.

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the comments, I´ve not expect that you love this little Thread so much...
When I read your kindly Posts I understand again why this World is like it is...
Why so much hate, I just asked for better Quality Updates? This Thread is not about "whether God exists or not.."
I fear that my house burnt down and my Wife and children be raped and murdered, just because i wrote a post about a f...king Software.

Regards
Hellraiser

if you'd called yourself something like 'HeavenFluffyCloud' all of this could've been avoided... :lol

Hi Guys,

... I just asked for better Quality Updates? This Thread is not about "whether God exists or not.."
...i wrote a post about a f...king Software.

What are you expecting instead, you implied bad quality, but not willing to help improving.

Only complaining isn't that constructive, trust me i know what i'm talking about here in f...cking ....any.

cheers
Marco

Hi Guys,

Regards
Hellraiser

I wrote a long text just now about this, but then realized, that maybe we could agree on one point: The beta testing and public beta testing needs to be improved! I'm sure that there are people here on this forum and on all the language specific forums out there, who have in fact found a bug, but were too lazy or too shy to post it! Does this sound familiar to anybody? ;)

There are guys out there, who immediately know, what part of the amp simulation may be the reason for the amp not sounding like it should. Paco is one of those guys, because he's a professional, who can e.g. build his own amp.
Guys like me only can say stuff like "This amp sounds wrong, there must be something wrong", which, if taken seriously, could also be a starting point to find the pieces of code causing it. Example: Angle Severe 1 sounded horrible on the first public beta of FW18, which was resolved in 18.04: Fixed wrong Crunch default value and associated constants in Angle Severe amp models

Ok, so I didn't turn that knob. Sorry! Yes I should have provided a sound clip comparing 17.04 with 18's 1st public beta! So, if possible, ALWAYS be as specific as you can be and ALWAYS SHOW what you mean, it's a lot better than trying to describe it! Don't be too shy to show your recording, e.g. if you think your playing is not good enough. For showing what you think is wrong most of the time it's enough to play one chord for e.g. 10 seconds. It's not about "Hey, look what difficult stuff I can play", it's about "Hey, I found a bug you deaf guys haven't" ;)

So, what to do?

Let's improve the (public) beta testing!!! That's all WE users can do! We all benefit from it! So guys, if you find something odd, just post it right here. If you were wrong, no harm done. If you were right, great!!! If you were right and noone believed you, even better!!!!!! :D

I love the updates and improvements. Because of it, the Axe Fx has held my interest and kept me intrigued more than any other thing related to music except the desire to learn and play.
Like everyone says you DON'T have to update. If you are happy with the sound of your presets why risk changing that if you don't need to?

Maybe the beta testers or the process itself aren't perfect - or hell maybe they are, what do we know - but in any case, they got us where we are today. Unless OP is offering to pony up the payroll for professional beta testers, I'd prefer to see FAS resources allocated as they already are.

Exactly!

That's why from now on, I'll post EVERY bug I find, no matter if it seems logical or not. Starting this afternoon! (Have the time and mood, so we'll see if I find something :D )

We have to remember, that Cliff is the ONLY one, who works on the code for the firmwares! I'd recommend to at least let somebody else look over the code and see, if there are mistakes in it, like this missing ; which caused the UltraRes to not work. That's something which can happen to every developer, which is why it's so important to have a second pair of eyes on it. On the other hand, shouldn't a compiler output a warning message on this??

Sorry, but clearly you do not have a clue what you are talking about and what's going on and what it takes.
On behalve of the beta testers I can tell you that (...)* and that (....)*. And what's even more important is that (...)*. Be assured that (...).*

* NDA in effect.

I know that I don't know anything about internals of Fractal Audio! And it was not my intention to piss of any of the beta testers, hell no, especially you, everyone knows how much you do for us, not only the constant updates on the wiki, but also here on the forums!

But look at this whole discussion! To me it's a sign, that there are things, which need to be communicated. Why don't you enlighten us on the things I'm wrong about? If it's a secret, ok, if it has already been communicated, very well. But your post doesn't help anybody with anything!

I tried to come up with a possible solution to what the OP was complaining about. I think he has a point to some degree, but didn't communicate it very well. If my thoughts on this are garbage, I'm totally fine with that!

Everybody just love everybody!

I love the Axe, Fractal Audio, the staff, the beta testers, and my fellow fractallites! I learn so much from this forum, and I avoid and gloss over anything negative. My only complaint is about myself - I wish I was a better player, but that's on me.

Nothing is perfect, but the Fractal Audio company is pretty darn close.

Kudos to everyone I just mentioned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom