Please name mixers that can switch between Line and Mic level per channel

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
in the never ending discussion, i always see people saying to "make sure the sound guy sets the channel to LINE not MIC level."

can anyone name mixers where this is possible?

in my experience, most mixers that are at gigs do NOT have a feature like this. on most mixers, the 1/4" input is the Line Level input, and the XLR input is Mic Level. there are no switches/buttons per channel to adjust this.

the best i can find is that reducing the Channel Gain/Trim brings you into Line Level range when using the XLR input.

but again, many people say "set the channel to Line Level not Mic level." what exactly is the procedure to do this, for those who have suggested it?

Here's a screen grab from a pretty basic Allen and Heath that has a pad/line switch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.46.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.46.52 PM.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 26
Here's a screen grab from a pretty basic Allen and Heath that has a pad/line switch.
Nice! Thanks! Yeah the pad switch is vital, but not every mixer has those. Even so, I’m scared to have the sound guy accidentally un-click it. It’s happened often enough :(

Is everyone else talking about the Pad switch when referring to “set it to line level”?

The Yamaha StagePAS systems (at least prior to the Bluetooth versions anyway) have a mic/line switch. The Yamaha 01v has a 26dB pad switch, but no mic/line switch.

Most any DJ style mixer will have a mic/line or mic/line/phono input on each channel, as people are hooking up CD players/laptops, turntables, or dynamic microphones

Most any DJ style mixer will have a mic/line or mic/line/phono input on each channel, as people are hooking up CD players/laptops, turntables, or dynamic microphones

Phonograph inputs are different.

If you put a CD through a PHONO in it will sound bad
If you put a turntable into like an AUX or CD player jack- it will sound bad

Records are EQ'd with certain frequencies rolled off-

PHONO ins and phono preamps are designed to have the opposite EQ curve for the record plays with the right eq balance

but again, many people say "set the channel to Line Level not Mic level." what exactly is the procedure to do this, for those who have suggested it?

XLR and TRS are the same cable- just different connectors

A lot of mixers just assume XLR= Mic and TRS/Line=Line

Your best bet would probably be using the 1/4" outs then you'll never get the wrong levels live

Phonograph inputs are different.

If you put a CD through a PHONO in it will sound bad
If you put a turntable into like an AUX or CD player jack- it will sound bad

Records are EQ'd with certain frequencies rolled off-

PHONO ins and phono preamps are designed to have the opposite EQ curve for the record plays with the right eq balance

I know, that is why I specified mic, line and phono.

Perhaps embarrassing to admit but I spent a good part of the 1990’s dj’ing the “rave” scene. Back when we still beat matched by ear with two 1200’s and a mixer. No laptops, no auto sync, etc lol

Nice! Thanks! Yeah the pad switch is vital, but not every mixer has those. Even so, I’m scared to have the sound guy accidentally un-click it. It’s happened often enough :(

Is everyone else talking about the Pad switch when referring to “set it to line level”?
depends on the mixer. on ones with the Pad switch, all it's doing is padding the mic level input to accept line level signal. so it's essentially a Line switch

Back
Top Bottom