Please help with the choice FRFR

Konstantin

Inspired
I choose between the Atomic CLR and Matrix GT1000FX + PASSIVE SPEAKERS NL212 (FR212).
The main purpose - guitar backline
The main requirement - the sound that will be closest to the real 4x12 (now I have Rectifier 4x12 v30).
Please help with the choice.

PS. Sorry for my English. Translated by Google.

If it's 'closest to the 4x12' that you want, definitely go with GT1000 + NL212. Mind you though, it's not FRFR. If you want FRFR, then you'll have get the CLR. I had the CLR and I personally didn't like it at all. Too spikey. I do still prefer a 'real cab' sound from my rig.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the stupid question. What distinguishes FRFR from nonFRFR? Should I turn off cab block or amp sim on Axe-Fx in both cases?

It's not a stupid question.

FR/FR stands for "Full Range/Flat Response". What that means is the speaker doesn't color the sound at all. Or, at least it shouldn't. Reality is sometimes slightly different. But, that's the objective.

Why would you want that? Well, you have a modelling preamp that's doing its best to produce the sound of a particular amp. If you run that signal into a regular guitar speaker, it gets changed. In other words, if you're modelling a VOX AC30 but running it into a Marshall 1960A 412 cabinet, it's not going to sound like an AC30. Same thing is true of most amps. However, if you run your model into a FR/FR speaker, you get a faithful reproduction.

That's not to say that it won't sound good. Some folks like the coloration a traditional cabinet brings and don't care if it doesn't sound exactly like the original amp. Who knows? Perhaps you would rather hear a Fender Twin through a Mesa Boogie 212 bottom. It's not going to sound bad at all. Probably sounds great. It just won't sound like a Fender Twin or a Mesa Boogie.

What I'm sure many guys do is feed existing cabs to see if they're happy, and if so, stick with that solution. Others want to reproduce the original amp/cab sound, so they do the FR/FR thing. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

if the main requirement is to sound like the 4x12, I would use the 4x12. drive it with the Matrix!

Thanks, Cagey. In this case, I'm interested in FRFR model, but with a separate amplifier and speakers. What will advise?
Will I get close to the feelings sound like using 4x12 ?

I use the CLR's and they do sound great. No experience w/ Matrix gear personally.

You might also consider one of these:
Friedman Amplification | ASM-12Friedman Amplification

I've not tried one personally, but Brett Kingman has and posted his thoughts on it compared to the CLR on Facebook (I believe). Basically he felt that the CLR and this Friedman cab compared well to each other w/ the CLR favoring the clean and low gain type tones where as the Friedman cab favored to more typical 4x12 type tones (mid gain and up). Something to add to your list to check out anyway..

I can see that thread will get some attention and interesting opinions and advice..

The bottom line is, you should probably try out some of these options before you buy, so that you know what you're getting yourself into. To be fair, FRFR works for some and not others. What helped with my 'real cabs vs FRFR' journey was that I started off with real cabs.. FRFR came a bit later when I was ready to try and grasp the concept of FRFR. I personally don't think FRFR is for everyone as it can take some time to get used to. But then again, as far as my rig goes, I'm lucky enough to have the bets of both worlds because that's what what works for me. I've got a 'normal' 2x12 cab and a 1x10 passive Alto FRFR, and together, they compliment each so incredibly well - it's AWESOME.

I wouldn't necessarily go and 'rush' a purchase.. I would say, go and try whatever options you have available and let your ears guide you because your ears just can't lie to you.. that's my 2c worth..

I went with a matrix gt-1600fx and FR212 (passive) amp and speaker package and couldn't be happier! Crystal clear, loud enough to drown out un-mic'd drums, etc. I'm very glad I went full FRFR. The tones and cabs the Axe FX 2 Ultra+ I have makes for a very happy guitarist. I did tons of research first, have owned a Peavy 120w 4x12 half-stack setup before, as well as a Randall 120SC 2x12 which I still have and this thing, this setup, is magnificent!

GT1600FX - Rack amps
Full range flat response guitar cab

Back
Top Bottom