Please help me with a Van Halen patch setup question

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
On VH's 1st album(and others) he has his guitar panned hard left with lots of plate reverb, and in the right speaker you can still hear guitar but very low with deep reverb.
Panning the guitar about 90% to the left and leaving reverb in the center so it is present on both sides is not doing the trick so how exactly do I set shit up for that classic VH Ted Templeman studio magic ? Obviously not talking about EDs guitar tone, just the placement/spacing of guitar and effects in a patch . And whatever else I'm missing.
I can get a good ballpark of his guitar tone but that's only half the battle!! HELP

Did you check the factory presets? IIRC the Brown Sound preset (7) for example has the guitar and reverb panned.
Also check Unchained (50) and EVH Circa 1982 (263, Ultra).

Yeah I have tried the VH presets and a couple from the axe change but they just don't sound right as far as the reverb/effects and panning is concerned.
There has got to be someone on this forum who knows how to setup a classic VH patch with the as close as possible effects settings and panning techniques. The actual guitar tone I can approximate, so someone step up and help to educate me on the other shit. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Last edited:
I cant help with your question but want to know...

Why are you stressing over this?

If its a recording situation I can maybe see the sense, but live you're killing yourself for no gain.

I don't play live. I record at home and also jam along to the countless backing tracks w/vocals that I have. So i just like to have patches setup as authentic as possible for all of the songs i record myself playing on or when I'm just playing a setlist of various classic rock and '80s metal backing tracks. It just makes it more fun and it's educational as well.
So help a brother out bitches!!! For an iconic player such as VH there must be users on here who know how to setup some killer patches with the right settings for phase,reverb,panning etc... Share your knowledge mighty Axe tweakers. lol

Back
Top Bottom