Please help me choose a cab

What cab with Axe FX Ultra + VHT 2902 for metal?

• Total voters

harsh

Inspired
Hi guys. I use an Axe FX Ultra with a VHT 2902, currently through an old Peavey Valveking cab. I'm looking to upgrade my cab next and am hoping to choose from the following:

1. Mesa 4x12 standard slant cab
2. Orange 4x12 standard cab
3. Vader 4x12

I would have picked the Mesa but it's quite heavy - both in terms of weight and cost :). The Orange was nice when I tried it, nice and articulate but lacked something (probably the low end)? I haven't tried a Vader cab, but the reviews look good and the price is nicer than the other 2. However, I haven't had any experience with Eminence speakers. If someone has had experience with these cabs, could you help me decide?

I play metal on 6 and 7 string guitars, so it needs to be tight and have a good low end.

As far as low end is concerned... two buddies of mine have Mills Acoustic cabs that kill just about any other cab when it comes to being able to handle "low end". They are expensive... but you can get a used one for a pretty decent price...

New: about $1200
Used: about $800(?)

One thing I will say is that recently I installed V30's (to go with the G12T-75 in X-pattern) in both my Marshall 1960 cabs and it sounded veeeeeeeerrrry comparable to my buddies Mills Acoustic with K100's... but you could still hear how "solid" his cab sounded compared to mine... especially in the low end... but as I said, my Marshalls were holding their own!

I'd love to try Mills Acoustics out, but I live in the UK and i am yet to see one of those here :). I guess that option is out. Also, if price wasn't a criteria, Mesa would be my first preference.

I would love to hear from someone who has used Vaders to see how they stack up against the others.

I would say Genz Benz 2x12.....they also have a 4x12.....but the 2x12 is very loud and I can't imagine needing more than than anywhere. They are both ported and sound huge! I replaced speakers with Eminence Pro Delta A's, which are 400 watters. Stock speakers were real good too...I just "wanted" to tweak it out!

I would say portcity OS 2x12 (first choice!) or brand new AVATAR 4x12 if you don't mind the weight! ( 46 lbs vs 115 lbs and ). I had an orange 4x12 and the avatar contemporary cab is a copy
of the orange 4x12 for around 600$ brand new!

Last edited:
Dense wood construction for drop tuning or 7 string guitars are best, speaker selection as always a personal preference but most like the higher wattage speakers for better low end control.

Last edited:
get a K12. you wont regret it. ive got a mesa 4x12 cab that i dont even use anymore. lol

1. Mesa 4x12 standard slant cab
A Marshall cab loaded with V30s will have the same bottom end without the ugly hi-mids and highs.

3. Vader 4x12
I used one in a festival gig (it was in the provided backline) to me it sounded thin, and the mids were a little like a litte radio.
Don't trust me a lot, you know, in a festival you have to load in and perform the sound check in minutes and then play your ass off :D

Back
Top Bottom