Please help a new guy. Should I buy a used AX8?

marshamellow

Hello.

I would appreciate your thoughts regarding whether or not it is a good idea to consider buying a used AX8. I am used to getting a "good deal" on used guitar equipment, but it would seem that fractal equipment owners are accustomed to getting good resale value when they sell their stuff. With this in mind, the price of the AX8 has recently come down.

I have some very nice amps and haven't dabbled in modellers since the Line 6 POD, which I used live for several years in order to save my back. I would be using the AX8 for home recording and practicing in the evenings when the kids are in bed and I need to keep the volume down. I don't own any PA equipment or monitors, except for a pair of KRK studio monitors that I use with my computer.

Keeping in mind that I live in Canada, with the associated shipping costs/ border duties/taxes, do you think it would be a good investment to pay $1900 CDN (that's $1450 US) for a "US made" AX8 that is now a year old along with 2 EV-1 expression pedals and the cables?

I have a chance to buy this locally and avoid all of the shipping costs and other hassles associated with buying a new one, but I am concerned by the prospect of buying an expensive electronic device with no warranty. Not sure what reliability can be expected to be like for this particular unit. Also, if I buy a brand new unit plus the 2 pedals, my costs are just over 2 grand CDN (but then add shipping, duties and %13 tax).

I should also mention that I am not in a rush to buy. This only caught my eye because units like this one aren't available very often in my area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think for the difference, you'd feel a lot happier having the warranty. I haven't had mine long enough to tell how reliable they are, but the things are built like a brick sh*t house. I guess it's completely personal, but I would certainly feel safer getting a new one direct. I'd hate to think of repair costs!

I'd go for it. I got mine about 2 months ago and I'm loving it. Dialing in my tones now. Just did a show with it tonight and the FOH engineer was commenting on how good my tones sounded and my leads jumped right out. I'm a lead guitarist and singer in my band. It was nice to hear from the sound engineer (who has worked with Paul Rogers, Bad Company, Filter, Fuel etc.) to tell me my tones were awesome. I run stereo XLR direct to FOH and L&R 1/4in. line out of AX8 to a Stereo FRFR stage amp. I've also run Mono to FOH and the AX8 still sounds great.

I would take a careful look at the used gear. If it looks like it has been well cared for, I would go for it.
Also, is there a chance you can try it or hear it at the sellers house? If so, and it all works like it should, I would but it!

I got my AX8 last June new. I live in Canada as well and for what I have seen of the used market in Fractal, the only AX8 I saw used in the last year was selling in my area for $2100 last fall. For that price, it made no sense to wait for one to pop up for sale at a cheap price.
Besides, I was one of the few that had a problem with my AX8 and FAS service was top notch. The Canadian service center, Nice Rack Canada is based out of the Toronto area and having had a small issue with my AX8, I was quite pleased with the service I received.

So IMHO, get it new as the cost savings are almost impossible to find in the used market and for such an expensive item, I want the full warranty support.

Back
Top Bottom