Playing AX8 Through a Guitar Amp

Has anyone turned off amp modeling & cab sim and just used the AX8 as an effects board. I guess it would be the same as an FX8? I have a gig this weekend and not totally happy with the AX8 whereas I'm a new user and haven't had a lot of time with it.

Has anyone turned off amp modeling & cab sim and just used the AX8 as an effects board. I guess it would be the same as an FX8? I have a gig this weekend and not totally happy with the AX8 whereas I'm a new user and haven't had a lot of time with it.

That’s how I use my AX8 with my AC30 and AC4C1.

Last edited:
Also, what pad level are you using on your guitar in the I/O? Right now I'm using 6db. And I'm using a -10db output the turning the output 1 all the way up which should be a -10db signal if going direct. I imagine it's all different going in the front of the amp?

What is the advantage to that compared to out 1 right into the amp with no effects loop?

Nothing, I don’t think. I just do it that way because my presets were created on the Axe-Fx II and they use Out1 with amp. sims. and Out2 with a real amp. When I converted them to the AX8, it was easier to keep it the same way.

Also, what pad level are you using on your guitar in the I/O? Right now I'm using 6db. And I'm using a -10db output the turning the output 1 all the way up which should be a -10db signal if going direct. I imagine it's all different going in the front of the amp?

I just checked and I’m at 6dB on IN 1 and 0dB on OUT 2.

So is it wrong to use amp and cab blocks on the ax8 out 1 front end of amp. With a bit of tweeking (roll of a lot of high end) it sounds the best with my Freidman Dirty Shirley mini combo set pretty clean. I can send the patch I use the most if you like.

So is it wrong to use amp and cab blocks on the ax8 out 1 front end of amp. With a bit of tweeking (roll of a lot of high end) it sounds the best with my Freidman Dirty Shirley mini combo set pretty clean. I can send the patch I use the most if you like.
Nothing wrong with keeping the amp and cab on. If you get the tone you're looking for then it's the right way to do it.

I ABed my PR with standard effects pedal board with the fractal. I discovered even the sound I was unhappy with was better thany amp and PB. I found out it was a combination of levels and changing the cab. Once I changed the cab, presto sounds awesome!!!

One more question, off topic but where is the setting that puts the scene back to original, not back to the last time I turned on various blocks?

Back
Top Bottom