Played through the FAS Models for the first time

SickBoy13

All I can say is WOW. I never tried any of the FAS models in the 2 years I've had the Axe FX III, and last night I threw on my favorite IR and let them rip. "Idealized versions" of these amps is an understatement. If these existed in the real world, I'd be hard pressed to not buy them all. The FAS Crunch is dangerously close to the famed Dookie Mod, just change the tone stack to the CAE 3+ and you're there. The FAS Hot Rod is very close to the George Lynch style mod. So tasty.

I wish I could buy hardware versions of these to add to my collection, but I am at least happy I have them at my disposal in the Axe FX. If you haven't tried out the FAS amps, give them a shot because you may find you like them better than the others!

Yep, at tonight's gig I'll use FAS Rhythm and FAS Lead I for about half of a three-hour setlist of '70s-'80s FM rock (Toto, Steely Dan, etc.). I think of those models as covering that Mesa/Rivera/mod'ed Deluxe/LA studio guy thing, or at least I aim them in that direction. I get an EOB sound and back the guitar volume off just a bit, a la Tim Pierce, for a nice bouncy mostly clean rhythm, and the lead tones are perfect for the era. I go to a Plexi Jumped and HBE for the more rocked up tunes in the set. With all the FX available it's studio rig heaven in a small footprint.

I love them also. I wish they'd release a cheaper fm9 style pedal with only FAS models at a better price. I doubt it would sell good as people would rather have 'what they know.' I use almost only FAS models as it makes me feel more unique and tonally different than others. I'm sure the 1 guitar player in the audience can tell a difference at least. 🤣

I love them also. I wish they'd release a cheaper fm9 style pedal with only FAS models at a better price. I doubt it would sell good as people would rather have 'what they know.' I use almost only FAS models as it makes me feel more unique and tonally different than others. I'm sure the 1 guitar player in the audience can tell a difference at least. 🤣
Putting less models in the same hardware wouldn't be cheaper to make.

Didn't realize JNC is doing vids for G66 - great!.

I'm going to have to delve into the FAS models more - I like the concept that these models are Fractal's take on popular amps but with some bumps/warts ironed out.
His tones and videos are great. I usual don't buy presets, but you can purchase all his patches, which includes a Google Drive where he posts all the new patches for around $6.

All I can say is WOW. I never tried any of the FAS models in the 2 years I've had the Axe FX III, and last night I threw on my favorite IR and let them rip. "Idealized versions" of these amps is an understatement. If these existed in the real world, I'd be hard pressed to not buy them all. The FAS Crunch is dangerously close to the famed Dookie Mod, just change the tone stack to the CAE 3+ and you're there. The FAS Hot Rod is very close to the George Lynch style mod. So tasty.

I wish I could buy hardware versions of these to add to my collection, but I am at least happy I have them at my disposal in the Axe FX. If you haven't tried out the FAS amps, give them a shot because you may find you like them better than the others!
Sorry to Necro but this deserves to be said..THANK YOU. I'm a new Axe3mk2 owner, and I tried what you said above, cabs, tone-stack and all. I have never.been. closer!! A few frequencies boost/cut here and there but, man..I can hear it in the palm mutes..(tried second verse of she, bridge of welcome to paradise etc)nobody ever talks about that when trying to get that Bradshaw mod thing down..thick and crunchy/punchy thump without being muddy, and plenty of mids for the pick attack..high end sizzle just the right amount before it enters "fizz" territory. Man I am having a blast (no pun).Sounds even more on point then my Helix patch, I had to tweak the HELL out of the Friedman BE100.
I'm glad you shared that sir!

Cliff has said more than once he would rather not model other amps and work with just FAS models, but you know people will just scratch their heads when there is no name brand amps

Unfortunately, other modelers have soured most users on a manufacturer's amp models. The biggest lesson I've learned with Fractal gear is forgetting everything I thought I knew about modeling based upon experiences with other brands.

It is not a stretch to imagine if Cliff made and/or modded physical amps that he would be regarded as one of the best in the amp world. Ignoring FAS amps thinking they are somehow lesser models would be a big mistake.

Unfortunately, other modelers have soured most users on a manufacturer's amp models. The biggest lesson I've learned with Fractal gear is forgetting everything I thought I knew about modeling based upon experiences with other brands.

It is not a stretch to imagine if Cliff made and/or modded physical amps that he would be regarded as one of the best in the amp world. Ignoring FAS amps thinking they are somehow lesser models would be a big mistake.
This. I have never been more happy with my tone since my 14 year old "no mids, gain to 11 self" lol I just love playing again man, it's awesome, FAS models are 🔥

Back
Top Bottom