Played some guitars today, including some proposed holy grails

Is Axe Palace still open in Boston?
Yes. That place is always stocked with dream gear. Their selection isn’t huge but everything they have is high quality. I also love that they have all of their amps and cabs setup on switchers so you can easily pair multiple heads and cabs quickly.

What is this place you speak of? Hmm....
Been to the old shop, but haven't been to the new one.
I agree with an earlier comment, it seemed to be geared heavily to metal players (which I partially am, so I liked all the guitars).
But not a huge variety of 'types'.
Google it Ian, I can't remember where the new location is (I wish my brain still worked).

Back to @Dave Merrill original post - jump in the car and go to the Manchester (NH) Music Mill. Worth a trip if you are on the south shore.
They have a TON of cool guitars and a VERY large inventory. Excellent people too. One of the last big shops where you have killer variety, nice people, and good prices. (I should have mentioned this place earlier)
@iaresee - I think you are NH now as well, right? If so, go check out the Mill (if you haven't already).

I see what you mean.

Also:
Google it Ian, I can't remember where the new location is (I wish my brain still worked).
Walpole. No wonder I hadn't run throught it yet. There is literally no good reason to be that far South West of Boston if you don't live out there. :D

Wait...

go to the Manchester (NH) Music Mill

Again, WTH? How am I just learning about this place.

If you're in Manchvegas you might as well drive 10 minutes over to see John Mann's Guitar Vault -- if you want to try every nice PRS you can think of he has them all on the wall. That place is deadly if pretty finishes are what gets your credit card out. Note: closed Mondays and you probably need to call ahead to make sure someone is there.

Been to the old shop, but haven't been to the new one.
I agree with an earlier comment, it seemed to be geared heavily to metal players (which I partially am, so I liked all the guitars).

Back to @Dave Merrill original post - jump in the car and go to the Manchester (NH) Music Mill. Worth a trip if you are on the south shore.
They have a TON of cool guitars and a VERY large inventory. Excellent people too. One of the last big shops where you have killer variety, nice people, and good prices. (I should have mentioned this place earlier)
@iaresee - I think you are NH now as well, right? If so, go check out the Mill (if you haven't already).
Agree, good store, don't get up there that much but I should.
I have some things from them in my tracking of possibles...

You know, I really wish I liked guitars like that, they're much more reasonably priced.

I'm open to an Ibanez. Just not a locking trem for one thing and also, I haven't loved any if the ones I've played. None recently though.
The AZ226 is not your typical Ibanez. It's basically a copy of a Shur. Doesn't have a locking trem, or the thin Wizard neck. The neck profile is like a Strat with 22 stainless frets. I like it better than I thought I would. Don't know how much of a difference the upgraded Suhr pickups made, but I'm sure the originals sounded fine.

The AZ226 is not your typical Ibanez. It's basically a copy of a Shur. Doesn't have a locking trem, or the thin Wizard neck. The neck profile is like a Strat with 22 stainless frets. I like it better than I thought I would. Don't know how much of a difference the upgraded Suhr pickups made, but I'm sure the originals sounded fine.
Interesting, but I can't find one around here so far.

Found a 1998 RG-470 MIJ, but that's got locking tuners and nut, not my fave.

I never paid any attention to EBMM until Petrucci switched to them. And I'm not trying to steer you to a Majesty, but only chiming in to say I'd strongly recommend trying some Music Man models. I am SO impressed with the quality of both of mine, and for the price, they seem to be a great value overall, no matter which model.

also has some killer guitars (never a crazy selection, but always top notch stuff).

reason i don't think of MGL often is because their website drives me crazy. you have to scroll through a list of guitars (with many of them listed as 'sold', in order to see what they have.
why in the world are the 'for sale' and 'sold' guitars all together in one list, in random order. put your 'for sale' stuff at the top of your page....

also has some killer guitars (never a crazy selection, but always top notch stuff).

reason i don't think of MGL often is because their website drives me crazy. you have to scroll through a list of guitars (with many of them listed as 'sold', in order to see what they have.
why in the world are the 'for sale' and 'sold' guitars all together in one list, in random order. put your 'for sale' stuff at the top of your page....
Fully agreed. My R9 came from there originally and Mark was kind enough to answer some questions I had during my LPC hunt (the blacked out one was offered to me before I found my 68RI).

Back
Top Bottom