Played in the rain this weekend...

Sully0556

Inspired
Our set was scheduled for 7:00 to 10:00PM, full sun and warm all afternoon but the radar showed a mess hitting us at 7:00. We were in a "covered" band shell which meant the drummer, Keys, lights, and PA racks were all under cover and up 1 step from the main stage but the 3 front members were not, we had time to prepare and knew it was going to be a straight down rain with not much wind so pre-planning came thru for us.
We had tarps for the FOH speakers and I had bought 3 clear shower curtains off Amazon a few years back so we broke them out for our floor units and my FRFR. I was able to tuck 1 shower curtain around my Temple board (leaving the ends open for air flow, and drape one over my FRFR enough to protect it. I was able to read my FM9 fairly well thru the curtain and had zero issues switching functions with my feet. The volume and effects pedals were more difficult since operating one tended to move the other but it was not that bad. End of the show I un-covered my rig and it was bone dry and happy as ever. The shower curtains are thick and there was no worries of poking holes in them and the gaffers tape held great and still peeled off when done. Prepare for the worst and enjoy the summer!!

Glad it was a success! I use a bag that a comforter comes in. It's really clear and thick enough to not tear up but thin enough to see through and function well.

Would never have done that with my old bassman!

Our set was scheduled for 7:00 to 10:00PM, full sun and warm all afternoon but the radar showed a mess hitting us at 7:00. We were in a "covered" band shell which meant the drummer, Keys, lights, and PA racks were all under cover and up 1 step from the main stage but the 3 front members were not, we had time to prepare and knew it was going to be a straight down rain with not much wind so pre-planning came thru for us.
We had tarps for the FOH speakers and I had bought 3 clear shower curtains off Amazon a few years back so we broke them out for our floor units and my FRFR. I was able to tuck 1 shower curtain around my Temple board (leaving the ends open for air flow, and drape one over my FRFR enough to protect it. I was able to read my FM9 fairly well thru the curtain and had zero issues switching functions with my feet. The volume and effects pedals were more difficult since operating one tended to move the other but it was not that bad. End of the show I un-covered my rig and it was bone dry and happy as ever. The shower curtains are thick and there was no worries of poking holes in them and the gaffers tape held great and still peeled off when done. Prepare for the worst and enjoy the summer!!

So I'm a coward maybe, but I wouldn't have taken a guitar onto that stage if it was raining. I don't have any that are that disposable.
I sweat so much that my guitar gets wetter on a hot day than in the rain. Plus it's saltier...

EDIT: This does lead back to the discussion about whether you should bring your best guitar to a gig. Or a "disposable" one. I'm firmly on the side of bring the best. Why wouldn't you want to have the best possible experience when playing live? Is there risk? Yes. The risk of leaving it home is that you have maybe an adequate guitar live, but not one you love. It's only money.

Shouldn't they all look like this?
1718980953368.png

Last edited:
Nice!

Neil Schon's tech wraps his pedalboard gear in regular plastic cling wrap.

I've learned my lessons with rain in the years ago with my AX8. First one was not prepared and used an umbrella. Did not work. Thankfully the unit kept working but I couldn't change sounds so I was stuck on one preset/scene.

1719007696304.png

Then I did a rainy parade and I used the cling wrap with great success.

1719008521017.png

Back
Top Bottom