Playback automate your Wah BUT keep foot control

Awesome video. It really highlights the shortcomings of the midi implantation in the axefx 3. Shouldn’t need a keyboard to record a wah performance

Awesome video. It really highlights the shortcomings of the midi implantation in the axefx 3. Shouldn’t need a keyboard to record a wah performance

It seems like it should be possible to implement this in the Axe-FX. After all, the Axe-FX has all the necessary pieces in place: both midi input and expression pedal input, plus a midi connection to the DAW.

There are various ways to work around this, including using a midi foot controller and echoing the midi back out from the DAW to the Axe-FX, or using midi through on the Axe-FX and a separate midi interface, but it sure would be nice if that wasn't necessary.

^^this
There are plenty of midi devices other than a keyboard that can accomplish this, as I say in the video. I just already had my keyboard plugged in.

Guys, I’d appreciate some help in figuring out how to record expression pedal movement and apologise in advance for the lengthy post.

What I want to do.
Record guitar from the Axe into Reaper using an expression pedal to control the WAH block.
I have no issue recording with the pedal connected directly to the Axe, controlling the WAH.
However, at the same time as recording the ‘audio’ signal into a track (with the pedal controlling the WAH for the live performance), I’d also like to capture the midi positioning of the pedal onto a separate midi track (for future reamping possibilities).
Problem is, I’m fairly new to this digital recording stuff (despite being an old git) and I don’t even know if I have the correct gear to facilitate this, hence the request for help.

My gear / setup.
I’m using: Axe FX III, a mac, Reaper, expression pedal (Boss FV-500H), a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre audio interface and an old Casio CTK-7200 keyboard.
The Axe is connected to the mac via USB and the Focusrite is connected to the mac via Thunderbolt.
The Axe and Focusrite are connected together via SPDIF and XLR cables (OUT 2 from the Axe). I use SPDIF for recording guitar DI and it works very well (don’t ask me why, I followed my son’s setup).
The Casio keyboard can be used as a midi keyboard (I use it to record with plugins), but does not have any midi in / out connections. It does have an ‘assignable’ jack for a sustain pedal.

What I’ve tried.
I’ve followed some aspects of Cooper’s video above, but I don’t have a midi-to-USB device.
What I did do is, connect the expression pedal to the Casio pedal jack and get the Axe ready to receive midi commands from Reaper (set ‘Source 1’ in the preset WAH block to ‘External 1’, and in the setup menu for midi, set External Control 1 to CC #4).
Then in Reaper preferences, I made sure that midi outputs were enabled for the Axe.
I then set up a ‘normal’ recording track and a separate midi track (where the route had the Axe selected as a ‘midi hardware output’).

Where I'm at.
When I operate the pedal up/down, I see the midi signal appear in the midi track in Reaper and I also see the midi IN light on the Axe light up momentarily.
Before recording, if I ‘draw’ a WAH shape in the editor of the midi track and then play guitar in the ‘normal’ track while the midi track is running, I hear the WAH effect applied to the guitar track.
However, I have no foot control over the pedal.
And this brings me back to my original question of what it is that I’m trying to do: record the guitar track using the pedal to control the WAH for the live performance), and at the same time, capture the midi positioning of the pedal onto a separate midi track.

Do I need a midi-to-USB device?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
Gary

Small update.

From watching another video about using a MIDI expression pedal in Reaper, I used "ReaControlMidi" to establish that my pedal (when connected to my keyboard) is operating on CC #64, it is named a "Hold Pedal" and acts as an on/off switch.

In the Axe, when I set "External Control 1" to CC #64, I now see movement in the WAH block "Wah Control" when operating the pedal, but again, it's either fully on or fully off.

I can't change the MIDI assignment within the keyboard (only allows assignment from channels 1 to 16 for internal functions to do with the onboard sequencer) so I guess I'm stuffed taking that approach?

For reference, the pedal function is also reversed, i.e. pressing the toe fully down once, records the 4 blocks of "0" values shown below, and turns the Axe Wah Control fully off.

Pressing the heel fully down once, records the 4 blocks of "127" values shown below, and turns the Axe Wah Control fully on.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 13.52.34.png

Back
Top Bottom