Play Along Tracks

Jerry K.

Experienced
Is there a way to insert an MP-3 player (i.e. iPhone) into the unaffected path of the Axe II. I would like to use some Jam Tracks and I wasn't sure if the FX loop could accomplish this? Ideally I would want the loop to be independent of the guitar signal and effects. Thanks

The easy way would be to route one of the inputs to left, one to right and use one for guitar and one for jam track.

I did something similar for a small party one year were I used the axe fx for guitar and vocals.

Of course the best way is to have the axe fx hooked up to a laptop and use it as the computers "sound card". This way any computer audio is unaffected, and your guitar audio is.

I do this all the time playing to backing tracks at guitarbackingtrack.com

Could you use the front input for guitar and then output 2 as a dedicated fx loop that does not enter into the guitar signal? If this works, could you then make the loop active or not active via scene control?

Yes, I've done the Input 2/FXL method to play an iPod at some weddings this summer. Worked quite well. Plus, you can put a volume block after the FXL block and control the volume via an expression pedal if you wanted.

I am just getting around to trying this and I have a few more questions. When I insert the FXLoop in row 4 of Axe Edit (as mentioned above) and plug my MP3 player into rear input 2 it plays perfect out output 1. However, my patch doesn't pass my guitar. All I can hear is the raw guitar sound coming out of out 1 along with the MP3 player. When I remove the FXloop the patch sounds normal. How do I get the patch to make the guitar sound as intended and still have the MP3 go through rear input two unaffected by the Axe?

Thanks!

From your description I'm not sure how you're connected/routing or exactly what might be happening. Can you post a picture of the routing? Are you monitoring through the actual Output 1 only, not Output 2 with Copy Out 1 to 2 enabled? (In the latest beta firmware this would be Output 2 Echo = Output 1.)

Last edited:
Here is a picture. I am monitoring the MP3 playback through output 1 and the guitar through output 2. My output says "output 2 echo output 1". Ideally I would like t be able to monitor everything through output 2but I don't know if that I possible?

Attachments

• MP3 Routing.jpg
    MP3 Routing.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 94
Earlier you said:

All I can hear is the raw guitar sound coming out of out 1 along with the MP3 player.

Recently you said

I am monitoring the MP3 playback through output 1 and the guitar through output 2.

so is the "raw guitar sound" coming out of 1 or 2?

you're actually monitoring both Out 1 and Out 2? if so, there is no guitar sound from Out 1?

That's the issue--when you place an FX Loop block the echo setting is overridden, and Out 2 gets whatever is routed to the FXL block, a signal direct from the grid input in this case.

Is there a reason you can't monitor through Out 1 only? That's what Out 1 would be getting now with that routing.

It's possible to send everything to Out 2 via feedback send/return, but your guitar chain using all 12 columns would mean you'd have to delete something or figure out a parallel routing solution.

BTW, if you're monitoring through Out 1 the FXL block can go in the last column, which will save a little routing time & CPU usage.

I want to do this. Can someone explain quickly step by step. I have an Axe-FX-II, I have a Fast Track Pro that I use to run my studio monitors, and then I have my CLR active wedges on the floor hooked to my Axe. I would LOVE to play backing tracks out of my Axe.

now I just play along to the studio monitors on my desk, and use my CLR's on the floor, but the mix isn't always great.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to hook the Axe-FX to my laptop thru a USB and set it as the default speaker/sound card and get both backing track and guitar output to my CLRs, or as in my current configuration to run my laptop to a mixer with USB and set the mixer as the sound card/speaker default, and run Axe-FX & mics to the mixer and have all output to CLRs. Works like a charm and sounds great blending all thru the CLRs!

Is is possible to adjust USB input volume separate from guitar volume?

I have a question relegated to this topic and was hoping someone might be able to help educate me. I am new to the Axe-Fx and do not have any audio equipment experience. If this has been answered somewhere previously on the forum, sorry but I did not find it.

I have USB running from iMac into the Axe-FX II and I can play along. However, I do not understand whether I can make adjustment so that I can control how loud the guitar sounds relative to the USB inout. For example, I would like to volume of the music from the computer stay the same but increase the volume of the guitar so I can hear stand out more as a play along.

Is this possible?

Thanks, David

I have a question relegated to this topic and was hoping someone might be able to help educate me. I am new to the Axe-Fx and do not have any audio equipment experience. If this has been answered somewhere previously on the forum, sorry but I did not find it.

I have USB running from iMac into the Axe-FX II and I can play along. However, I do not understand whether I can make adjustment so that I can control how loud the guitar sounds relative to the USB inout. For example, I would like to volume of the music from the computer stay the same but increase the volume of the guitar so I can hear stand out more as a play along.

Is this possible?

Thanks, David

You can increase preset level in the amp or output block, or global level via Out 1 EQ gain slider without affecting computer audio levels. If that causes clipping before you get the guitar loud enough, you'd have to reduce volume in the program playing the audio.

as far as I know usb volume is not effected by patch volume. adjust computer volume and or patch volume as you please as long as you do not clip outputs.

I bought a $25 Behringer mixer off Ebay. My Axe is hooked to one set of inputs, and my computer soundcard (which could be a mp3 player for that matter) is hooked to another. I can have control over both levels and then also a master volume. Its stupid simple, and has the added bonus that I can keep my monitors on, and just turn the Axe volume fader down when I turn it on/off to prevent "pops" on the monitor.

Certainly are other options to route through the Axe, but I like simple. For example, I don't always have my Axe turned on, so it doesn't make a good soundcard, and I don't want to get an change my audio routings to different devices.

Always handy to have a little mixer around

Back
Top Bottom