Planning my first tone match - Advice needed

guitarjim

Experienced
I am planning to do my first tone match for Reelin in the Years and I wanted to ask a question regarding the audio sample.

Elliot did the lead directly from the guitar to an Ampeg SVT bass amp. Using that model in the Axe, I am able to get fairly close to the tone, but without the nasally sound. I can't find any record of the fuzz that was used on it, but since he says he went direct from his strat into the Ampeg, I'm guessing that might have been post production. The best I've been able to do is with a Master Fuzz and with the input drive cranked on the SV, it starts to get some of that nasal quality to it.

There is a very old tonematched preset for this song on Axechange, but IMHO there is too much of the nasalness in that one and I've been unable to clean it up. So inspired by Jon's Metallica presets, I figured I'd use this as a reason to learn how to do it.

The problem with this song is that there is only a very few notes that are played in the open, about 8 notes at the beginning before the rest of the band comes in, so I'm a little perplexed about how to approach it. Do I grab the intro and just loop it for tone matching? The problem with that is that the range of those notes are only 5 half-steps so it's not a real wide sample to work with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If the TM you were referring to was the one from forum member Groovenut, I thought it sounded pretty good. I'm not sure how the TM would translate with the latest firmware, but the other details of the preset might be usefull.

Back
Top Bottom