pitch shifting

fatoni

Inspired
do you guys think that the pitch shifter can replace having guitars set up for different tunigs? i have a guitar set up for e standard, c standard and want one for dropped c, dropped d, and c# standard. all those tunings would just be used to cover bands in my house so it wouldnt need to be perfect. id be satisfied if i could just use on guitar for setups that are a half step apart. the shifter on my g-system blows and i would never think of using it. thanks guys

Yes, it can. IMHO the shifting works very well, with 1, 2 even 3 semitones. Depending on what stuff you play you can even get away with more than that - especially in a live situation. If you're only going to shift down one half step from the guitars' respective tunings you won't run into noticable artefacts.

Dunno how good C tuning would work. I've experienced a little bit of glitching when that low. I was too curious about this, and in my experience, I wouldn't rely on it to be realistic when that low. D tuning works great, and I think drop C would work too.

You can't use it for something that requires different relative pitches per string like drop-D or DADGAD. You'd need a device that has discrete inputs for each string to pull this off like a VG-99.

If you want your whole guitar tuned up or down by a fixed pitch then the Axe-FX can do it. Complex chords will "warble" a bit so I wouldn't try much intricate chording with clean tones. Overdriven tones can mask the "warble" pretty good.

As hippietim said:
hippietim said:
You can't use it for something that requires different relative pitches per string like drop-D or DADGAD. You'd need a device that has discrete inputs for each string to pull this off like a VG-99.

A good working low budget solution for more complex tunings is a Line6 Variax guitar with Variax workbench software. It does even low tunings very well. I use the Variax 600 for some tunes.

Michael

I don't think he wanted the AFX to tune the guitar to dropD, did you?

As I understood, he listed his tunings and wanted the AFX to do the necessary shifting so he wont have to tune the whole guitar for every song (or, more likely, have to buy one guitar for each tuning).

danielodland said:
I don't think he wanted the AFX to tune the guitar to dropD, did you?

As I understood, he listed his tunings and wanted the AFX to do the necessary shifting so he wont have to tune the whole guitar for every song (or, more likely, have to buy one guitar for each tuning).

Well he said dropped C and dropped D explicitly both of which require detuning just one string a different amount than the rest.

Yea, I guess I just assumed he knew that wasnt possible. Many people use the term "drop C" when they mean the whole guitar dropped two semitones and the deepest string dropped to C, so I assumed he wanted to tune to drop D and use the pitchshifter for the rest for that tuning.

Anyway, what hippo said, you can't drop just one string with a regular pitchshifter unit.

yeah, im aware you cant really detune individual strings with a pitch shifter. i was just wondering if i could get away with having fewer guitars. maybe one to cover c and c# standard, one to cover dropped d and dropped c, and one in standard. cutting down from 5 guitars to three would be sweet.

fatoni said:
yeah, im aware you cant really detune individual strings with a pitch shifter. i was just wondering if i could get away with having fewer guitars. maybe one to cover c and c# standard, one to cover dropped d and dropped c, and one in standard. cutting down from 5 guitars to three would be sweet.

You could probably get away with three - maybe even two, just try it. As I mentioned I play a tune in B standard with my band. Clean tones with complex chords is not too cool. The more you drop, the worse it gets. Stuff with more gain works much better.

Back
Top Bottom