Pitch block limitation workaround ideas?

jclemensfl

Inspired
Hey all,

I'm playing a song that ideally could use two pitch blocks, and trying to find a workaround.
The song requires the pitch block to be used as a whammy to occasionally raise the notes by two octaves.
I also need a separate effect that would be a constant octave generator, as if playing a 12-string.
Anyone have any workaround ideas that would allow me to accomplish this within the AX8's limitations of only one pitch block? X/Y won't work (or at least I don't think so) because I need the constant octave generation, even when the whammy is engaged.
I'm thinking maybe I can approximate the constant octave with the synth block, but that is one effect I'm just not very familiar with.
Creative solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you can use a Plex Shift block for the octave part.

Just use pitch on 1 delay line with no delay and no diffusion.

I think that would work.

Maybe you can use a Plex Shift block for the octave part.

Just use pitch on 1 delay line with no delay and no diffusion.

I think that would work.

Delay time should be higher than minimum (10-40 ms) for this to (maybe) sound okay. Then it's like using fixed shift mode in the pitch block with tracking off, which can still sound pretty bad.

Is this a cover or do you have a recording, OP? Knowing exactly what's happening in the song would make it easier to give suggestions.

Does the 12-stringish octave also need to go up (to 3 octaves) with the whammy effect?

If the whammy moves are always fairly quick you might be able to use Intel. Harm. mode with a whole-tone or custom 4-note dim7 scale for both roles, controlling voice harmony value(s) with glide time turned up a bit.

If the whammy isn't used very often and you're playing chords sometimes, it might make more sense to use pitch block fixed shift (poly tracking) for octave-up, and plex shift (controlling master pitch) for whammy. Ideally the whammy part wouldn't use too many different notes, and you'd be able to find a delay time that sounds good enough for everything.

A better plex shift can actually be done with pitch controlling delay time. An ideal version of this that sounds good throughout the entire guitar range would involve two or more delays and is kind of tricky to set up.

Last edited:
Unix-Guy and Bakerman:
Thanks for replying. I will give the Plex Shift a whirl over the next few days.
Bakerman, I'm covering a live version of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" by U2. I've got a fantastic pitch patch for the Whammy that was given to me by the former guitarist in a U2 tribute band, so I would prefer not to touch that.
However, the song is played on a Rickenbacker 330/12. I'm saving up for a Les Paul and just don't have the cash right now for both. So I'm trying to approximate the 12-string, while still keeping my Whammy pitch block.

Last edited:
You could XY switch the pitch block between whammy and fixed shift mode. I wouldn't send an octave shift through a whammy for that part. It would sound worse than just playing an octave on guitar.

You could XY switch the pitch block between whammy and fixed shift mode. I wouldn't send an octave shift through a whammy for that part. It would sound worse than just playing an octave on guitar.
Thanks, Bakerman. That is a fall back, certainly. But that would require me to hit an X/Y button to take the pitch block to a Y state and then jump on the expression pedal for the Whammy. Kind of difficult to do. Unless there is some way the whammy could automatically engage Y state and then re-engage X when finished.
Additionally, the Edge continues using that 12-string all the way through, so his whammy is taking the octaves higher, although he is only playing the bottom four strings at that point.

Last edited:
I would skip the pitch block for the 12 string, and use a chorus block with the pitch block doing the whammy.

I saw a recent suggestion of using the Octave type in the Drive block and turning the gain/drive down. Not sure what it sounds like.

I saw a recent suggestion of using the Octave type in the Drive block and turning the gain/drive down. Not sure what it sounds like.
Not a good option.... Typically the response is only for notes at or above the 12th fret... And it basically adds a harmonic on your note as opposed to being like a harmony.

Back
Top Bottom