Pitch Block/Custom Scale Help

Brian Coonan

Power User
Hey there,
One of my bands is going to be playing "When Will I Be Loved" by Linda Ronstadt and it has a nice harmony solo in it. I've created a custom scale as follows:
A SHIFT: -5
A# SHIFT: -4
B SHIFT: -5
C SHIFT: -4
C# SHIFT: -4
D SHIFT: -5
D# SHIFT: -3
E SHIFT: -3
F SHIFT: -4
F# SHIFT: -4
G SHIFT: - 4
G# SHIFT: -4

Which produces this result I think is real close, but there are a couple issues on the bends that I hear where it's not smooth (not a Pitch block bug or anything), and I'm wondering if maybe one of the experts can offer some guidance:

I've also attached the preset, it's Scene 5 that I'm using for the solo but if you are going to check it out, you'll also need to go to the global settings on the Axe and set up Custom Scale #1 with the shifts mentioned above.

Appreciate any help!
Brian

Attachments

• BCRock_Country.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
This is basically unavoidable with custom shift type when you bend between notes with different shift values. A different sort of tracking style would be needed to eliminate the pitch jumps.

Consider using the normal dual harmony type or a custom scale with equal shift amounts for the notes covered by the bend. You might end up having to use more than one pitch channel to get a result that sounds good throughout the whole section.

This is basically unavoidable with custom shift type when you bend between notes with different shift values. A different sort of tracking style would be needed to eliminate the pitch jumps.

Consider using the normal dual harmony type or a custom scale with equal shift amounts for the notes covered by the bend. You might end up having to use more than one pitch channel to get a result that sounds good throughout the whole section.
Thanks - was wondering if I got as close as I could get with just the limitations of how it works. Will run it in rehearsal - those little things probably won't even be audible in a live setting. Will take a look at the dual harmony type.

Back
Top Bottom