Pinched harmonics ( cant get them out of my axe )

bluenose

I have a standard AxeFX but i can't get good pinched harmonics, its not me as i can get then out of an amp ok.

I have an ESP guitar with EMG 81 pick ups, playing my axe into some hifi speakers (powered) with the cab sim on.

When i turn off the cab sim it improves a bit but the overall sound is a bit harsh and they still sound very weak.

Id like to be able to get some nice Zakk Wylde squeals.

Do you have the same problem ? Any ideas

Thank you

Oh im going into the front input and XLR to Aux input on the speakers

old strings?

I get the same artificial harmonics out of the Axe as I always did.
1st to 3rd fret low E-string probably better/clearer.

DonPetersen said:
old strings?

I get the same artificial harmonics out of the Axe as I always did.
1st to 3rd fret low E-string probably better/clearer.

+1

bluenose said:
I have a standard AxeFX but i can't get good pinched harmonics, its not me as i can get then out of an amp ok.

It has to be you (user) but this time it's your tweaking,
try to dial similar tone gain and EQ wise to the tone you're getting on your amp and that should be it. :)

I second the other opinions.
If you can get the harmonics out of your guitar in the first place, there's no reason why the A-Fx would mute them.
Actually I've a low gain patch with the Hiwatt sim and I can get pinch harmonics all over the fretboard.

Pinched harmonics are rather about the technique than an amp. You can get them on a perfectly clean amp too. Even unplugged.
As it's mentioned above, completely dead stings will not produce them, but first you need to master the technique, than you can get them anytime anywhere.
A lot of things matter, the position where you hit different strings etc. Try to move your thumb closer to the tip of the pick and tilt your hand a bit, as you pick, your thumb will hit the string almost immediately too. It should not stop vibrating he string, but alter it's vibration. That's causing the squeal. There are a lot of variations, check out the late Dimebag's video on youtube for pinched harmonics without a pick.

Extreme noise gate settings, maybe? It's the only Axe-FX setting I can think of that could kill pinch harmonics. Everything else, as has been mentioned already in previous replies, is the same as an amp, and the Axe-fx should not prevent them in any way.

+1 to Dpoirier. Turn the noise gate off completely (ie. Threshold). If that doesn't work, try increasing the master on the amp block. This will cause the amp to compress naturally (making harmonics easier to achieve). If you're still not getting them, put a compression block first in your signal chain. Try a ratio of maybe 3:1 and increase it from there.

Hope this helps!

-AL

Back
Top Bottom