Pimp My Guitar: Let's see your mods

I don’t really have many heavily modded guitars, beyond basic things like trem blocks or pickup swaps, my most modded is my old ‘98 Mex Tele my dad bought for me when I was 16.

It’s got Graphtech saddles and nut, Sperzel locking tuners, pickups changed for SD Hotrails and Jazz neck humbucker, push/pull pots to split each pickup, and re-fret with XJ’s. I may get a new, reverse strat, roasted flame maple neck with SS frets for it some day and install a micro tilt but when funds allow. This is one of the guitars I will never sell due to sentimental value but it plays itself and the neck is so well worn in and comfortable despite being a good bit thicker than I typically like.

I did try putting a Babicz Full Contact bridge on it but the dimensions were for a US Tele and were just enough off that it played weird after so i took it back off. At the same time i did a full black hardware change but also switched it back when the black bridge didn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
20240223_163125.jpg

Triple P90 Custom 22 with DGT neck profile. Upgraded to Fralin hum cancelling P90s, with an AlNiCo one most recently added in the middle. The regular one that was in the middle migrated to the Gecko Tele's neck spot. Has the super 5 way switch and 3-position for the middle spot. That's pretty much a go-to for me for the 3 pickup guitars with 5-way switch....
Love it ! 3 p90s….and fralins ! ;)

OK, I'll play...

That's my #1 Strat, she used to be a brand new Fender Stratocaster MIJ RI68, that's how she was:
dsc00017-7.jpg

Just a few mild modifications:
  • Neck profile sanded to death, 12″ radius, JESCAR 57110-S Stainless Steel frets, nitro finish
  • Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners
  • Graphtech TUSQ nut
  • Graphtech string tree
  • Callaham Stainless Steel Neck Plate
  • White Pearl Pickguard (3ply, no-name)
  • Cutaway notch mod for easy truss rod adjustment
  • ObsidianWire Custom HSS/HSH Gen2 7 Way Switch harness, It’s 500k controls and 0.022uf tone cap for the Bridge and Neck. Tone 1 (Middle and Neck) is 250k (in all settings), but at 10 it is completely removed from the circuit so it actually acts like a 500k (removes no treble) when it is at max, and then tapers down in a similar way to a 500k from 9 to 0. The tone cap for the Middle is 0.047uf, there is a treble bleed circuit, with Push/Pull Downthe 5 way switch works like any other strat, Tone 2 is for Bridge.
    • Push/Pull Up
      • Position 1: Bridge + Neck
      • Position 2: Bridge + Middle + Neck
      • Position 3: Middle + Neck
      • Position 4: Middle + Neck
      • Position 5: Neck
  • Bridge: Dimarzio Tone Zone S (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Middle: Dimarzio Pro Track (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Neck: Dimarzio Pro Track (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Callaham steel block
  • Callaham Bridge Top Plate and screws
  • Raw Vintage steel saddles (RVS-108)
  • Raw Vintage tremolo springs (5)
  • Custom made stainless steel tremolo arm
And that's her right now:

img_20210613_122605.jpg

That's my #2 Strat, she used to be a brand new Fender Stratocaster CIJ RI68, again, juuuust a few modifications:
dsc02293.jpg

• Neck profile sanded to death, 12″ radius, JESCAR 57110-S Stainless Steel frets, nitro finish
  • Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners
  • Graphtech TUSQ nut
  • Graphtech string tree
  • Callaham Stainless Steel Neck Plate
  • Purple Pearl Pickguard (3ply, no-name)
  • Cutaway notch mod for easy truss rod adjustment
  • ObsidianWire HSS harness (500k controls and 0.022uf tone cap for the bridge, 250k controls and 0.047uf tone cap for the middle and neck, treble bleed circuit, the 5 way switch works like any other strat, Tone #1 is for Middle and Neck, Tone #2 is for Bridge)
  • Bridge: Dimarzio Air Norton S (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Middle: Dimarzio Pro Track (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Neck: Dimarzio Pro Track (full humbucking mode, no coil split)
  • Callaham steel block
  • Callaham Bridge Top Plate and screws
  • Raw Vintage steel saddles (RVS-108)
  • Raw Vintage tremolo springs (5)
  • Custom made stainless steel tremolo arm

Nowadays my #1 guitar is my Parker Fly Classic and my #2 my Fly Deluxe. Both have been modified so the middle position is both humbuckers in full humbucking mode (thanks Flyclone guys!), nothing else.

img20230704104801.jpg

PS: in case some of you wonder about the Strats. Both were bought exactly because they were the best platforms for the modifications I needed to do, the most important were the necks (these are narrow and on the thin side). Don't blame me, blame my picky left hand. Both were bought around 2007-2008 and until 2020, apart from all the other mods, they were traditional SSS strats, with CS69 and all. Then, after 30 years of playing with single coils I couldn't stand them anymore, so I went HHH.

Just remembered on the SG junior I got rid of the tuning keys and replaced with drop in Kluson keys.
View attachment 136014View attachment 136015
Guys, this could be a bad idea…maybe not ! I’ve always loved the pickguard of the sg junior.
What would it look like if I installed a P90 in the neck position(rhythm for the old timers), and just sliced the pickguard to accomodate it. It seems like it could look pretty cool. Hmmmm….

Guys, this could be a bad idea…maybe not ! I’ve always loved the pickguard of the sg junior.
What would it look like if I installed a P90 in the neck position(rhythm for the old timers), and just sliced the pickguard to accomodate it. It seems like it could look pretty cool. Hmmmm….
The back chamber is already routed out!
IMG_2889.jpeg

And this is what it looks like behind the front pickguard.
IMG_2890.jpeg

1E2DF9E6-158C-4458-BA2C-574473C0D34F.jpeg
The Fender Family Oldest to Youngest - left to right:
2011 American Deluxe Strat - Callaham bridge etc, Fender locking tuners, Zexcoil push pull convertible bridge and neck. Single coil only middle. Treble bleeds. Blend neck and bridge pickups with second tone knob.

2012 Fender American Special Jazz - Zexcoil Convertible JBass pickups - white pickguard from the stock black. I thought it looked too Country with black guard and the maple neck.

2020 American Performer Tele - Black pickguard from the stock white one. Callaham bridge etc. Fender locking tuners. Zexcoil push-pull convertibles in bridge and neck. Treble Bleeds.

2024 American Professional II Precision - Stock.

2024 American Professional II Strat - Zexcoil Tru-Gauge pickups, Fender locking tuners. Blend neck and bridge with second tone knob. Treble bleeds.

1987 pre-production Paul Reed Smith CE24

PRS.jpg
This PRS was one of a number of market test guitars out of the Anapolis facility for what would become the CE24. These were solid Alder bodies, no maple cap. This is one of those guitars that rings out played acoustically, and feels and sound like a guitar that has been played regulary for many decades. Unfortunately, the original HFS / Vintage Bass pickups were terrible (in this guitar at least). It's now a long way from factory original at this point.

Mods & upgrades:

• The nitro finish on the back of the neck was stripped, then refinished in Fornby's Tung Oil.
  • The bridge is fixed in place with two mahogany blocks. There's one spring in place for ground, dampened with foam.
  • The graphite nut was replaced with a bone nut.
  • I had a refret done by Mike Lull, with jumbo fret wire.
  • The tuners were replaced when the high E string cam wore out. They were replaced with open gear 18:1 Hipshot locking tuners.
  • The strap buttons were replaced with Dunlop Strap Locks.
  • A micro toggle switch was installed (I don't like pull pots) for coil tapping the pickup. It's now wired as a kill switch.
  • The pickups were replaced with a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF's.
  • The Volume pot is now a RS Guitarworks A500k Super Pot, and the Tone pot is now a CTS A500k pot.
  • The treble bleed was removed and the Tone and Volume controls are now wired using Gibson '50s tone control wiring.

Yamaha Revstar II Standard RSS02T

RSS20.jpg
After reading many glowing reviews I bought this guitar online. I was looking for a P90 guitar anyway and this seemed worth a go. It turned out to be a great guitar. Bound, chambered mahogany body with a maple cap (under flame maple veneer), Mahogany neck with bound headstock and bound rosewood fretboard, and 24.75" scale length. This guitar is nearly loud enough (unplugged) to be used as an acoustic guitar. Playability is effortless, the neck profile is right in my comfort zone - similar to my PRS CE24, rolled fretboard edges (bound), medium jumbo stainless steel frets (well leveled, dressed, polished, and smooth fret ends - nearly perfect). The P90's are fantastic! The only real issue was the electronics.

Mods & upgrades:

• The tuners were replaced with open gear 18:1 Hipshot locking tuners.
  • The Volume pot is now a RS Guitarworks A500k Super Pot, and the Tone pot is now a CTS A500k pot.
  • The polished aluminum control knobs were replaced with cream speed knobs, and the switch tip is now cream.
  • The treble bleed was removed and the Tone and Volume controls are now wired using Gibson '50s tone control wiring.
  • The 'Focus' switch was removed.
  • The stock pickup selector was abandoned in favor of something more interesting, and far more useable. The new switch layout was designed by Psionic Audio. Positions 1, 3, and 5 are Bridge pickup / both pickups / neck pickup. Positions 2 and 4 emulate dual Volume controls (1 ea. per pickup) with different preset volume blends. Position 2 has the bridge pickup fixed at 100% and the neck pickup at ~30%. Position 4 has the neck pickup at 100% and the bridge pickup at ~10%. This mod sounds great at all five switch positions, and it's far more versatile than the factory selector.

Yamaha Revstar II Standard RSS20

RSS02T.jpg

Much the same can be said of this Revstar, which I purchased after my fantastic experience with the P90 variant. Most specifications are identical to the P90 variant save for the tailpiece and pickups. Out of the box this guitar didn't have the 'wow' factor that the P90 Revstar did, but unplugged, it showed as much potential. Once again, the electronics weren't my thing, and neither were the pickups.

Mods & upgrades:

• The tuners were replaced with open gear 18:1 Hipshot locking tuners.
  • The polished aluminum control knobs were replaced with cream speed knobs, and the switch tip is now cream.
  • I replaced the black pickguard and pickup rings with cream parts.
  • The pickups were replaced with a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF's with zebra bobbins.
  • The 'Focus' switch was removed.
  • The stock pickup selector switch was abandoned in favor of a simple 3-way blade switch for bridge/both/neck selector.

This has turned out to be a fantastic guitar. It doesn't sound like a Les Paul (which is Ok by me, I've owned several LP's, and played many more - I love the sound of a Les Paul, but don't like how LP's sound in my hands). This guitar is practically everything that I wanted a Les Paul to be.

USA Custom Guitars Super Strat

USACG.jpg
This whole guitar is a 'mod'. I built this one in 2005, and have modded it several times between then and now. Obvious from the picture: '50's contourded Alder strat body, 25.5" scale Maple/Maple neck with a tele'ish headstock. Fornby's Tung Oil finish on body and neck. Black hardware, Dunlop Strap Locks, Hipshot locking tuners and tremolo bridge, bone nut, medium jumbo nickel frets, Warmoth 'parchment' 3-ply pickguard. It originally had a HSS pickup layout (Lindy Fralin Unbucker PAF bridge pickup and Fralin Real '54 middle and neck pickups), CTS A500k pots, Switchcraft output jack, CRL 5-way pickup selector. and black aluminum control knobs. I fell ill in 2007 due to a prescription error that resulted in moderate to severe joint pain in all joints. As a result this guitar became very difficult to play (high string tension, even with 9 gauge strings). I almost sold the guitar.

Mods & upgrades:
  • USA Custom Guitars supplied a 25" scale conversion neck (solved the string tension issue for me).
  • The Volume pot is now a RS Guitarworks A500k Super Pot.
  • The tuners are now open gear 18:1 Hipshot locking tuners.
  • The pickguard was replaced - same pickguard but cut for dual humbucker pickups.
  • The bridge pickups was replaced with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11).
  • The middle and neck pickups were replaced with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, neck pickup (SH-PG1n).

The guy I almost sold this guitar to asked me if I had considered a conversion neck. I couldn't believe that this hadn't even occurred to me. At that time I was still recovering from other issues from the prescription error and functioning in a diminished state. I'm thankful every day that the buyer opted to assist me before we committed to a sale. This guitar was originally built as an upscale version of my first guitar - a 1982 Motsumoku built strat copy, to which a bridge humbucker was fitted a year or so later. It had a medium-lightweight alder body and a maple/maple neck. This guitar has been since its completion in 2005, and remains, my favorite guitar. I'm not really a traditional strat player and made limited use of strat pickups. I much prefer dual humbuckers, so this mod added a lot of versatility for my use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom