PigWeed - Scrutiny and Doubt (and MBC comparison)

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I just finished this newest tune... and I must say, every new song I come up ends up being my favorite song to listen to!!!! For this patch I used the Multi-Band Compressor for the first time... all I did was copy and past the MBC settings from Dweezil's Eruption patch and it worked out great... thanks Dweez!

I'm uploading 4 guitar tracks for comparison...

Mo's Patch No MBC.mp3
Mo's Patch With MBC.mp3
Mo's Patch No MBC Post FX.mp3
Mo's Patch With MBC Post FX.mp3

and for the "finale"... the completed track...

PigWeed - Scrutiny and Doubt (mp3 high quality download)

PigWeed - Scrutiny and Doubt (Soundclick)

And here is the patch and custom IR...

Mo's Direct Recording Patch, Jay's Gold NF Center Grille IR

which is another story unto itself... For me the built in IR's are just waaaaaaaay to dark... I was playing around with IR's and found Jay Mitchell's "Gold NF Center Grille.syx" (thanks for sharing Jay!!!!) and it had way too much high end but in combination with the R121 it gave it both the high end and monster growl I was looking for!!!!! If anyone knows where I could download more of these "type" of IR's, I would greatly appreciate it... let me know what you guys think!

P.S. It's the exact same patch I used for "PigWeed - Ascending" :D

Hmmm... I personally don't like the MBC clips at all, because the compressor messes up the attack phase.
But I am very interested in the "Post FX" stuff. My patches usually end up a bit muffled and need some additional treatment. I really liked the difference between before and after "Post FX". What exactly is it that you call "post fx"?

Hey there RiF... any relation to riffy? ;) j/k

By post fx I mean:

EQ, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Reverb and Limter (Spectraphy) all in Sonar.

mortega76 said:
which is another story unto itself... For me the built in IR's are just waaaaaaaay to dark... I was playing around with IR's and found Jay Mitchell's "Gold NF Center Grille.syx" (thanks for sharing Jay!!!!) and it had way too much high end but in combination with the R121 it gave it both the high end and monster growl I was looking for!!!!! If anyone knows where I could download more of these "type" of IR's, I would greatly appreciate it... let me know what you guys think!

I agree. This is why I seldom use just one mono IR. I mostly use a single Cab block with stereo IRs. Or I do parallel Cab blocks and run stereo IRs in each block......4 IRs total for the patch. I have used different combinations, but I really like the 4x12 Brit IR to help brighten things up. By itself, in my setup, the 4x12 Brit IR sounds very tinny, thin, and weak, but it works nicely in combination with other IRs.

BTW, the song sounds great! I also prefer the non-MBC tracks in the first part of the post.

Nice work Mo!

I'm in a "no compression" phase with my tones, so I haven't even looked at the MBC yet. I like how it takes out the "bwoom" from the low end on your clips. It's real tight like it's supposed to be.

The finished product is great! Whatever you did in the post processing is fantastic. It really brings the guitar up front.

mortega76 said:
Hey there RiF... any relation to riffy? ;) j/k

By post fx I mean:

EQ, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Reverb and Limter (Spectraphy) all in Sonar.
Do you mind sharing your EQ-settings?

Hey there RiF... not sure if it will be much help but here it is...

[attachment=0:2ydurtjv]EQ.JPG[/attachment:2ydurtjv]

The real magic happens in the Limiter and BBE Sonic Maximizer.

mortega76 said:
Hey there RiF... not sure if it will be much help but here it is...
No, it doesn't... ;-)
mortega76 said:
The real magic happens in the Limiter and BBE Sonic Maximizer.
You have a real cool overall boost in presence and "up-front-ness" in the Post-FX-clips. Must be the BBE... I did not like the plug when I demoed it, but it is pretty cheap, so maybe I'll give it a second try...

I like the no MBC better I think. I use the R121 a lot, it sounds the fullest out of all the mics. Great bass tone BTW!!! it fits in the mix very well... can you post the bass patch?

I am fanatic of my BBE 482i.
I got one on the end of my guitar/guitar-synth rig (FRFR), and a second one in the master bus of my PA for gigs and also used in insert of my sound card for records.

The first one is always ON, but I try to use the second one much carefully.

This fx is so addictive. :(...

I love it. What an awesomely clean production. The guitar sound is amazing for your stuff, I fiddled with the patch and IR yesterday to see how it sounds for my stuff, it works great for chunky one note kinda stuff but not really too well for fast chords work.

The bass tone is awesome! What kinda bass guitar did you use for the recording?

Spawn-X: I too have a BBE Sonic Maximizer... I've never thought about dusting it off and using it live... I might try that tonight! SM is just an awesome product for what it does, problem is that if you put to much it will sound shrill...

DrMosh: What's up Mosh!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a one string, one note, slow poke kind of guy! I wish I could shred, but I've never put the time to learn. The bass is an Ibanez SR505, I've wanted a wood grain finish bass ever since I saw Fieldy from Korn with his signature K5, but I didn't want that K5 on my neck. Years past and no money to be seen :D... then came the SR505 and our bass player bought one!!!! He is used to playing on four string basses but he ended up buying a five string... you should have seen my eyes, they almost popped out of their sockets when he pulled it out of the gig bag! He didn't like it... so I told him that I would trade him my Ibanez SR805 (higher model) for his SR505 (the exact one I've been drooling over for years!!!!) and he took the trade!!!! I've never played her live but damn she looks good! He eventually went back to his four string Carvin which sounds awesome... good for him... great for me!

SR505_BM_1M_03.gif

mortega76 said:
DrMosh: What's up Mosh!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a one string, one note, slow poke kind of guy! I wish I could shred, but I've never put the time to learn. The bass is an Ibanez SR505, I've wanted a wood grain finish bass ever since I saw Fieldy from Korn with his signature K5, but I didn't want that K5 on my neck. Years past and no money to be seen :D... then came the SR505 and our bass player bought one!!!! He is used to playing on four string basses but he ended up buying a five string... you should have seen my eyes, they almost popped out of their sockets when he pulled it out of the gig bag! He didn't like it... so I told him that I would trade him my Ibanez SR805 (higher model) for his SR505 (the exact one I've been drooling over for years!!!!) and he took the trade!!!! I've never played her live but damn she looks good! He eventually went back to his four string Carvin which sounds awesome... good for him... great for me!

SR505_BM_1M_03.gif

That does look awesome. I need a new 5 string bass. I have a huge old 6 string washburn, but the pickups aren't all that amazing. And the electronics in my shitty 5 string fretless are totally shot. A friend lent me his ancient RDGR 4 string ibanez bass, but it just sounds really really dull.
The song I am working on isn't really a shreddy one, but has some fast chord poop going on. I've spent 2 hours just now looking for a tone and I think I am close :) I always end up going back to the powerball amp sim, I dunno, I just love it and seem to be the only one.

Here is a shit short clip from before I went tone hunting today, with very dull and far too loud bass, but everything does sit nicely in the mix tbh. This is with a tweaked version of your patch. so don't hate me for making it sound shit and thanks a lot man!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7947809

My bass player just picked up the 4 string version of that with the bubinga/walnut body. Sounds friggin' amazing.

jaw_dropping_butch.jpg

That was brutal!!!!!!!

I've always liked the high end of the powerball as well... just not so much on the low end...

Sidivan said:
My bass player just picked up the 4 string version of that with the bubinga/walnut body. Sounds friggin' amazing.
True that! I noticed with my bass (at least for direct recording) it can have a whole heap of bass frequencies if you max the bass dial on the bass...

mortega76 said:
jaw_dropping_butch.jpg

That was brutal!!!!!!!

I've always liked the high end of the powerball as well... just not so much on the low end...

thanks.
I leave the low end to the bass, I don't like having too much low end on the guitars anyway. It's a really difficult balance, but I really want to be able to hear the bass guitar

Mo, I'd say that this song is your best work (IMHO) to date. I liked it A LOT! Really good bass sound too. Very Ampeg/Rock/Metal.

I like the MBC version the best. Takes away the bad stuff, and bringing out the good.

Tip of the week: Start with a basic Amp-Cab patch, add a Filter in the 1st row and high pass the clean guitar at ~200Hz (or higher/lower, but it's a good start). Now add a Drive block and set it to Tube dist (LV type) which I just found out is like adding an extra gain stage to the amp. Leave the controls at noon. How does it sound? If it's bass heavy, High Pass it higher.

I did it yesterday, and got a great roaring "modded" JCM800. With the Recto Red... whoah, it wasn't a wall of sound, it was a wall of DEATH! :D

I gotta thank Hunter for that epiphany. Thanks Hunter! ;)

Clawfinger said:
Tip of the week: Start with a basic Amp-Cab patch, add a Filter in the 1st row and high pass the clean guitar at ~200Hz (or higher/lower, but it's a good start). Now add a Drive block and set it to Tube dist (LV type) which I just found out is like adding an extra gain stage to the amp. Leave the controls at noon. How does it sound? If it's bass heavy, High Pass it higher.

You mean add the filter in the first row so only part of the signal is pass through the high pass and the drive block? thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom