Pickup Questions

It was my pursuit of achieving as many tones I possibly could with one main guitar that taught me I don’t dig high output pickups as much as I do medium output ones. There’s that symbiotic relationship between the output of a guitar and input of the amp where too much of one or the other takes you further away from what you’re going for.

My main guitar for 20 years was my Ibanez JEM with Dimarzio Evolutions; high output/boosted mids. It worked well with certain tones, but when really trying to dial in what I wanted, I found they were slamming the input too hard and backing off the distortion didn’t bring me the results I wanted because they’re just unrelenting pickups. (This was when I was using actual amps, namely Mesa’s). I had a couple older JEMs back in the day with Dimarzio PAF Pros and I remember how big and open they sounded for high gain rhythm stuff, because instead of slamming the front end so hard, it was like the guitar was doing 50% of the work and the amp was doing the other 50%. With the Evolutions it was like 65% guitar, 35% amp, but I was stuck there at 65% with no way to compensate.

All my biggest influences tend to stick with one guitar with variations to their tones throughout the years, but I don’t think I could ever do that. There’s just too many I love, so instead of getting multiple versions of the same guitar, I just started getting different guitars that would suit the tonal ‘needs’ more proficiently.

I ordered the same thing, contacted Lindy and he sent me the flatter radius 'blades'. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's not too difficult to replace.
Might have to try that. I love the Dawgtown RWRP 5/2 single coil set that came in my VZ Custom Tele, but can't do OOP without the guitar "forgetting the words". If I could rescue this one from the drawer, and get the matching neck pickup, it'd be awesome....

0326221230.jpg

0326221231.jpg

Summon a birch, it looks like that might be fairly easy, and I forgot I already have a good neck pickup to go with it: Lawernce L202TN! These were in my red Tele, with the Fralin replacing the L48TL, which was a little too polite and thin for a Tele, IMHO (but would make a stellar Strat bridge pickup alongside their L45S pickups). Junk drawer FTW!

Just emailed them inquiring about the 12" rails....

Last edited:
Might have to try that. I love the Dawgtown RWRP 5/2 single coil set that came in my VZ Custom Tele, but can't do OOP without the guitar "forgetting the words". If I could rescue this one from the drawer, and get the matching neck pickup, it'd be awesome....

0326221230.jpg

0326221231.jpg

Summon a birch, it looks like that might be fairly easy, and I forgot I already have a good neck pickup to go with it: Lawernce L202TN! These were in my red Tele, with the Fralin replacing the L48TL, which was a little too polite and thin for a Tele, IMHO (but would make a stellar Strat bridge pickup alongside their L45S pickups). Junk drawer FTW!

Just emailed them inquiring about the 12" rails....

So, here it is, completed:
IMG_20220408_225519.jpg

Sounds amazing, with the five-way adding "1/2 OOP" and series to the usual 3 choices. The 1/2 OOP sound is mellower and fuller than full OOP (due to a series cap trimming lows from the neck pickup when OOP so they don't cancel as much), but retains the interesting, slightly nasal midrange character OOP is famous for. The Delux Verb, Supro, and Bludojai Lead got a couple hours' playtime with this tonight through the latest FM9 beta....

Thanks, @JoKeR III , for telling me about the rail swap!

Back
Top Bottom