Pick-Ups

Jerry K.

Experienced
I have a Suhr Modern that sounds absolutely fantastic through my Axe FX II. It is like the best of Fender and Gibson all in one. I also have a Godin LGX-SA that sounds good but not as good through the Axe II. Both have 5 way selectors and both have solid bodies. I am wondering how much the pick-ups play into this versus the actual guitar. I was wondering if simply putting the same pick-ups in the Godin that are in my modern would get me a lot closer to the same sound? The Godin has a Piezo and if it could sound like the Suhr it would be awesome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi Jerry

Very hard to say, it might push you closer to what you want and it might hurt characteristics of the Godin you like and ones you’re not even aware of till they are missing.
Over all you will hear the flavor of the pick-ups for sure, but those pickups are also interacting different woods and so on of a completely different guitar. Over all you will most likely be happy and if worse came to worse put the old ones back in.
There is one way to find out and that’s just do it.

John

Probably would get in the ballpark, but I wouldn't expect them to sound exatly the same.Why not take the pups out of the Suhr and put them in the Godin to see? A pain, yeah, but a far cheaper option to see how you like it. ;)

I've had very mixed success with PU switching. I do think the Godin pickups aren't so great, but that model has SD pickups doesn't it? Whether it ends up in the direction you want you'll only find out by trying. Good luck with it.

I do find the Axe II to react very very differently to different guitars and pickups. I have a Roland ready strat with some of the weakest strat style pickups I've ever heard that I'm thinking about upgrading the PUs. My fear is that the guitar itself just doesn't sound that great and that I'll be putting good $ and time after bad trying to get it to sound good enough to want to play more.

If the Godin has the stock Duncan humbuckers, that might be part of it.

I have a Jackson and another guitar with Duncan JB's. I like them for certain styles of music. But I do find the Axe II kind of magnifies (for lack of a better word) guitar pickup qualities. For me, the Duncan pickups aren't as versatile as some of my other guitars. Like my Les Paul with custom wound PAF's.

So for me Duncan pickups are more specialized.

Richard

Most of a guitar's tone is in its pickups. That doesn't mean that you'll get the same sound. You'll get the same kind of flavor tho.
But different gtrs like different pickups. You might find that they may not work as well in the godin cuz of all the other differences. I'd say go for it tho!

Pickups and Cabs. The two bigs in terms of changing tone with the II in my humble opinion.

The Godin is the LGX-SA and it has a mahogany. The Suhr is the Modern and it also has a mahogany body. Hopefully I can get close.

The Godin is the LGX-SA and it has a mahogany. The Suhr is the Modern and it also has a mahogany body. Hopefully I can get close.

You should be able too.

Those Godin Duncan humbuckers are mid-peaky sounding to my ears.

IMO, the Suhr Aldridge, WCR Darkburst, WCR Godwood, Fralin Pure PAFs would all work well with that body/neck.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom