Phrygian Dominant

That sounds great! I'd love to be able to shred like that...do you suggest I just practice the phrygian mode up and down the neck until I have it down in my sleep?

Thanks guys. @X14Halo Just learn the 7 box patterns up, down, arpeggiate, any order, etc. Then tie the box patterns vertically up and down neck. Single string runs will help you tie the boxes together.

Oh. ok. an egyptshen song about scales. I get it. Cool.
Actually, to get it to make an Egyptian (Byzantine, Arabic, gypsy, double harmonic is what its actually called in music theory books.) scale from Phrygian dominant scale, you must raise the 7th a semitone. To convert a Phrygian mode (scale) to an "Egyptian" scale to must raise the 3rd and the 7th a semitone. Then watch out for these appearing out of nowhere!
bio%20photo%20II.JPG

That sounds great! I'd love to be able to shred like that...do you suggest I just practice the phrygian mode up and down the neck until I have it down in my sleep?

That's really a 2-part question. Speed is simply a function of subdivision and economy of motion. Half the battle is mentally being able to process the subdivision of the beat at high tempos. This mental acuity comes from many many hours of sitting down with a metronome and playing rhythmically complex things.

The second part is modal usage. This is developed through an understanding of scales, and the chords they form. Modes are best understood if you're playing over a chord, so mindlessly running the scale isn't going to do much good other than develop speed without purpose. If you really want to dig into modes, the best thing to do is play a chord, loop it, and then play different scales over it. This will help you audiolize how they actually sound.

Actually, to get it to make an Egyptian (Byzantine, Arabic, gypsy, double harmonic is what its actually called in music theory books.) scale from Phrygian dominant scale, you must raise the 7th a semitone. To convert a Phrygian mode (scale) to an "Egyptian" scale to must raise the 3rd and the 7th a semitone. Then watch out for these appearing out of nowhere!
bio%20photo%20II.JPG

Giggity Giggity

Back
Top Bottom