Phosphine found on Venus: life?

The radical awesomeness - suffering spectrum seems to span across life. One organism, family, society, species, planet can thrive and live in riches while another struggles and suffers (on Venus?). And these can happen at the same time or in cycles or right next to each other. Humans have some minimal capacity for empathy and compassion for others (humans other beings) but usually only if we have experienced something similar or similarly painful.

Living in virtual reality tunnels, it's amazing we can communicate and somewhat understand each other at all. In many ways we live in distinct realities and project that reality out onto everything... Hey, I'm happy, you should be happy! Hey I'm miserable, why don't you understand? I've been in both situations. To my mind there is no one-size life or universal path or answer or experience - at least that's my current life lesson. It's tough to accept.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there’s no life on the surface there. Heavily armored Soviet Venera landers lasted minutes, when they managed to even survive descent. Life can survive high pressure and some harsh chemistry, but it can’t survive the insane surface temperatures. Sulfuric acid in the atmosphere is problematic too.

I invite you to try to survive a week in my life.

May the odds be ever in your favor....
Hey dude, condolences. You're a fine human, I see that about you here all the time, wish we were neighbors! I hope your ship gets righted in due course.

Is the move grinding on you? That's definitely a hard and stressful manoeuver to pull off. Other stuff?

If you want to talk, have at it, here, or PM me if you want, no pressure of course. Or reach out to folks you actually know...

It'll get better, probably ;)

This week, I would consider it. Life is sucking pretty hard right now. Point is, I thing we, en masse, have already chosen to convert the whole planet into a slow-moving suicide booth. The time to fix things was 50 years ago, but we just munched popcorn and watched.
Like I said, save the planet by getting off it.
The universe could not possibly have sinned badly enough to deserve punishment via human infestation....
Each and every one of us is a king, a monarch, a divine being and the universe is our playground. Killing ourselves out of some misguided feeling that we're inferior or to save the planet is delusion. In 600 mln years like on Earth will die regardless as the sun becomes too hot and turns this planet into an inferno, and within 4 bln years the sun will become a red giant and destroy the inner solar system. The only chance that life has to survive, every species on this world, every animal, every plant, is us. We, as we are sentient and capable of space travel, are both the biggest threat to life on Earth right now but also its only savior for its future. The universe is a hostile place where life only has an incredible tiny chance of even coming about. If we kill ourselves life on Earth will snuff out. like a tiny ember of flame being erased forever from the tapestry of existence. We owe the hostile universe nothing, we must take what is ours. For ourselves, for our children and for life on Earth in general.

I’m no flat earther ....but how does anyone know for a fact the earth is actually spinning when there is no actual conclusive empirical evidence?

If there is none ....it’s then merely a philosophical idea & preference.
Simple, you see the sun rise and set and same with the moon EVERY EFFIN' DAY. That is the Earth spinning for you.

Not to worry, the Earth will eventually turn us into fossils, grind us to dirt, and start over again. It will be fine. We, on the other hand, are fooked. Maybe one day a robotic probe will come here, searching for signs of past life.
Which is why we have to get out into space. Like a baby has to leave the cradle eventually, so must humanity. We must settle not just the solar system, but the galaxies and beyond!

Y’all are some dreary-ass people. :) There’s a lot to love about life right here, right now. You’re alive, make the most of it!

(Flame proof suit on now)
Amen, brother! Amen! Preach to the self doubters and those who have been taught to see themselves negatively.

I don't know your life, but I do know this. no person has ever had a good life thinking themselves to be a victim. Aspire to be a winner! And I don't mean by having Jeff Bezos' or Elon Musk's billions. Sometimes just hanging in there is victory. Wars have been won by that principle. Life is inheritly unfair. Sometimes aspiring not to be a victim is victory. I refuse to be a victim. I plead with you to dust yourself off and give life the middle finger by just hanging in there. On step at a time, one day at a time if need be.

I wonder if we'll find life on Uranus.
The joke never gets old. But seriously though, Neptune, even though its further away from the sun and gets even less sunlight is a far more dynamic planet. If life could exist on an ice giant its probably there. And we know that Santa lives on Neptune.

Not gonna happen in 23 unless US Government funds it to the extent they funded Apollo, which is not doable in this day and age, since there’s no Cold War. This shit takes time, money, and a lot of risk. As a nation we’re too chickenshit nowadays for something that might incinerate a few volunteers on the launching pad (or suffocate them en route). No risk - no reward. You know who’s not chickenshit? China.

Not gonna happen in 23 unless US Government funds it to the extent they funded Apollo, which is not doable in this day and age, since there’s no Cold War. This shit takes time, money, and a lot of risk. As a nation we’re too chickenshit nowadays for something that might incinerate a few volunteers on the launching pad (or suffocate them en route). No risk - no reward. You know who’s not chickenshit? China.
A rich guy from Japan... hired Elon.
8 people, plus this rich Japanese guy.
Guy already has the money.

Simple, you see the sun rise and set and same with the moon EVERY EFFIN' DAY. That is the Earth spinning for you.

😳That’s the same evidence the ancients used to confirm the Earth is not moving lol😂

Notice ..? You said the Sun and moon “rises” & “sets”?

Ironically similar to the scriptures...

Ecclesiastes 1:5
“ The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.”

Psalms 113:3
“From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised!”

This is one of the reasons why Ptolemy developed his model and it was the held model for centuries.

Again there is no scientific empirical evidence that the Earth actually moves per the preferred standard model.

We are victims of the academia that prefers the cosmological model that has it move.

Here’s the leading cosmologists of today confirming.

George Ellis:

“….I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with the Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations.”

“you can only exclude it on philosophical ground. In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong in that.

What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that.”

George Ellis,
Famous cosmologist, in Scientific American,
“Thinking Globally, Acting Universally”, October 1995

He co-authored the book “The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time” in 1973 with Stephen Hawking. It is now a classic.
—————-

“Thus, even now, three and a half centuries after Galileo's condemnation by the Inquisition, it is still remarkably difficult to say categorically whether the earth moves, and, if so, in what precise sense.”

⁃ Julian B. Barbour, Absolute Relative Motion? p.226, 2nd paragraph

Astonishingly, there is literally no credible “settled science” of the Earth’s motion in space.

This then may play a huge factor in the opts post.

A rich guy from Japan... hired Elon.
8 people, plus this rich Japanese guy.
Guy already has the money.
It costs $2 trillion to develop an atmospheric fighter plane in the US nowadays, let alone send a bunch of people to the moon. Where I live outfitting a single intersection with a set of traffic lights costs the taxpayer a cool $1M.

Elon is a badass, that’s not up for debate, but there are some economic and regulatory realities to contend with. We won’t be back to the moon without another Cold War sadly.

😳That’s the same evidence the ancients used to confirm the Earth is not moving lol😂

Notice ..? You said the Sun and moon “rises” & “sets”?

Ironically similar to the scriptures...

Ecclesiastes 1:5
“ The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.”

Psalms 113:3
“From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised!”

This is one of the reasons why Ptolemy developed his model and it was the held model for centuries.

Again there is no scientific empirical evidence that the Earth actually moves per the preferred standard model.

We are victims of the academia that prefers the cosmological model that has it move.

Here’s the leading cosmologists of today confirming.

George Ellis:

“….I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with the Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations.”

“you can only exclude it on philosophical ground. In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong in that.

What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that.”

George Ellis,
Famous cosmologist, in Scientific American,
“Thinking Globally, Acting Universally”, October 1995

He co-authored the book “The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time” in 1973 with Stephen Hawking. It is now a classic.
—————-

“Thus, even now, three and a half centuries after Galileo's condemnation by the Inquisition, it is still remarkably difficult to say categorically whether the earth moves, and, if so, in what precise sense.”

⁃ Julian B. Barbour, Absolute Relative Motion? p.226, 2nd paragraph

Astonishingly, there is literally no credible “settled science” of the Earth’s motion in space.

This then may play a huge factor in the opts post.
From a purely Newtonian view, you can fix any frame of reference and say it’s stationary, and everything else moves around it, but that ignores the gravitational realities of things. Physics dictates that the path of least resistance is chosen. Path of least resistance for the Earth is to go around the Sun. But the Sun itself is not stationary either, we just use it as a convenient frame of reference. Earth’s own rotation also affects the perceived weight of objects on the surface. The effect is small, but measurable. It’s the same effect that causes weightlessness in orbit.

There was Galilean relativity before special relativity and Newton's laws before general relativity. But the classics work darn well for the vast majority of our purposes. Which is to say: the Sun goes around the Earth. Then again a worm doesn't care (we think), although dolphins might.

Parsimony said Galileo was 'right' (minus his gravity blunder). Then Newton. Then Einstein. This doesn't mean absolutely correct or true but more accurate, more useful, and more "sensible" in a certain frame. Epicycles and retrogrades can be fun and pretty, but in the right frame of reference they go away.

I don’t know what’s in your life, but you’re alive. Got some internet access. Got some online friends here wanting you to see better days. You don’t know that others here aren’t in worse shape. We’re all just looking to lift each other. Nothing bad in it.

Which is why we have to get out into space. Like a baby has to leave the cradle eventually, so must humanity. We must settle not just the solar system, but the galaxies and beyond!
We will likely die on this rock and never leave our solar system. Kind of depressing, but realistic.

If we could build a starship that could bring us to another habitable planet we would not need an habitable planet ...
Spacetime is the great filter.

I don't know your life, but I do know this. no person has ever had a good life thinking themselves to be a victim. Aspire to be a winner! And I don't mean by having Jeff Bezos' or Elon Musk's billions. Sometimes just hanging in there is victory. Wars have been won by that principle. Life is inheritly unfair. Sometimes aspiring not to be a victim is victory. I refuse to be a victim. I plead with you to dust yourself off and give life the middle finger by just hanging in there. On step at a time, one day at a time if need be.
Do you yell "ow" when you stub your toe with the ingrown toenail that already hurts on its own? Would you consider that act to be the act of someone "playing victim"?

That is kinda where I am at. Even Jesus, if you believe that mythology, had his moment of doubt and pain. Would you say He was "playing victim"?

There is an old Native American saying that applies:
"Great Spirit, grant that I may not judge a man until I have walked a mile in his moccasins."

Have a blessed day. Or not. Who am I to judge?

Last edited:
We will likely die on this rock and never leave our solar system. Kind of depressing, but realistic.

If we could build a starship that could bring us to another habitable planet we would not need an habitable planet ...
Spacetime is the great filter.
People can’t really estimate exponential processes. 100 years ago we didn’t have penicillin or most of what we currently consider to be our medical field. 80 years ago it wasn’t clear there’d be people permanently in orbit. Heck 5 years ago it was impossible to launch and control tens of thousands of satellites - before SpaceX there were fewer than 1500 satellites in total. I don’t think we can predict anything more than a few years ahead. For all we know some kid might discover some math or physical principle which makes interstellar travel possible. It’s gonna happen eventually.

I don’t know what’s in your life, but you’re alive. Got some internet access. Got some online friends here wanting you to see better days. You don’t know that others here aren’t in worse shape. We’re all just looking to lift each other. Nothing bad in it.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Got a bit of a reprieve from the intensity of suck today. Sometimes it just takes a few hours away from your tormentor to pull up out of a funk....

Back
Top Bottom