PhilX on Fakebook

IMO he's just talking superstition. I doubt he could hear the difference in a blind test. Here's one for you Phil, "You got the sky, you got clouds and you got yelling!"

People love their little amps. The THR5 made some pretty sweet VH tones as well.

Can't be lack of knowledge. He recently did a podcast with Dweezil Zappa talking about VH songs, and played through Dweezil's Axe-Fx.
https://www.dweezilzappa.com/songs/1969661-phil-x-ep-20

I agree. He's an accomplished player. I'm sure he's experienced many setups and understands the various setups /gear in various situations. All in all he has always comes across as a happy go lucky player who doesn't take things so serious. Odd that he posted this.

It's a frequency "or something"....

I choose to believe he's actually interested in finding the "violence frequency," and I'm happy to help.

Look far be it from me to challenge anything that Phil-X would say relative to playing guitar or crafting tone ....

And ..., I'll preface by saying I'm not necessarily a big "chugging" kind of player ..., but isn't that ALL about the ATTACK ?

IIRC ..., Pete Thorn has discussed ad nauseam about Eddie's Right-Hand ( picking ) technique .... My uneducated "guess" would be that his technique would become the most obvious when he's "chugging" ( right ? ) ....

Then if that sounds logical ..., couldn't that be the reason that no one can match that part of Eddie's tone ? IOW - it's not the tone ..., so much as it is the technique ....

Finally ..., the portion of the VH I / VH II tone that I have the most problem authentically recreating is the sag ( which quite frankly is as much of a feel thing as much as it is a tone thing ) ....

@Cooper Carter I'd really, REALLY be interested in what comes out of your collaboration w/ Mr. X if he ever gives you a call .... ;)

Back
Top Bottom