Phase Problems by using Stereo Setup

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
Hi Axe-men out there,

yesterday I played my first live gig with the Axe. Fortunately we had enough time to work on the sounds before the gig.

At the soundcheck, by using the two xlr-outs for the PA (a very nice sounding Martin-Audio PA) my patches sounded very
"far away" - not present in the mids but very ugly High's and no definition in the Low's. :?

I was using two amps (Brit Pre with Red Wirez' Engl V30 with Sennheiser MD441 Mic, and Brit Pre with Red wirez Engl V30 and R121 Mic) and one of the amps went into the Fx-Out before the cab into my Crate Powerblock (I love it) and a Laney
4x12 for stage monitoring (which really sounded fantastic)

The 2 amps I mentioned above were 9 and 3 o' clock panned, but on the PA it really sounded crappy like a cheap modeller. But when I took away one of the amps from the cab (and disconnected to the PA) and put the another one Balanced into the middle - it sounded great.

But one of my intentions to get the Axe was to use 2 Amps with two cabs at the same time in stereo. I'm playing in a Rock/Funk/Metal Powertrio and would like to have a "Two-Guitars-Live-Sound" because in the Studio I'm used to play my parts several times (Double-Tracking).

By the way: Is it possible that the thin guitar sound was the summary of using two amps with almost similar sound settings?
I wanted to get the Stereo-Sound by using two different miked versions of the same amp, because the trial to connect two
High-Resolution Cabs to one amp and the balance left/right did not work (although I have seen something like that on some Petrucci-patches)
In my opinion it really sounded slightly "out of phase".
One amp + 1 Cab mono into PA sounded F++++ng great but
Two amps + 2 Cabs lef/right panned in stereo sounded very ....... poor.

After all I have to say that, even if I can't get my setup working in stereo - I never ever had a better Guitar-Live-Sound than yesterday - and this shall be also a big THANK YOU to the community, which helped me finding "my" sound and solving
different problems.

Up the Axes :D :D :D
Andy

I can't be sure, but it sounds to me like the PA was collapsing everything to mono (or the sound guy did *not* pan your two feeds hard left and right). Also, some PA systems may be able to receive stereo signals, but still process everything in mono. It only takes one piece of mono equipment in the PA's signal chain to collapse the entire signal path.

Will you get a chance to do another sound check at that same venue? If so, try an exaggerated ping-pong delay test just to ensure the signal does indeed bounce left and right in the PA. If not, he's running mono (whether he knows it or not).

Hi,

I'm quite sure, that the PA was not processing in mono, because I did the soundcheck and I always have a bunch of favourite CD's with me, to check the Room and the overall sound. The left/right-panning was ok, and I was using the PA
(it belong's to good friends of mine) already for several concerts.

So I really think, that the problem is build on my own (wrong) settings, maybe I try to check out some "stereo-patches" and try to analyze, why they are working, when they are working. ;)

But thanx for you prompt reply, maybe you have another solution???

Bye,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom