Phantom power the Behringer FCB1010 - possible?

jerotas

Experienced
You know, on the back of the Axe-Fx it has the optional connector for pins 6 and 7 of a midi cable.
Is there to modify my cable and / or the Behringer FCB1010 to work with power from the Axe-Fx instead of plugging it in? Currently it looks to me like the midi jacks on the Behringer are only 5 pins, so I'm not sure if this is possible.
Oh and I only use the midi OUT jack from the Behringer, so hopefully I don't have to use 2 midi cables and use the midi IN as well to accomplish this.

Thank you,
Brian

Hi Brian,

the Axe-Fx itself does NOT deliver any phantom power out of this connector, you can add it into a 7 pin MIDI cable through this connector from an external power supply. I had to learn this the hard way too.. ;)

BUT, check out Prins Patricks website here: http://www.voes.be/fcb1010, he has a very good explanation on how to phantom power your FCB1010 from your rack. It involves a little modification inside your FCB1010 and the use of a solder iron is necessary, but it is really easy!

In easy words you do the following:
- Mod your FCB1010 with two bridge rectifiers to be able to receive phantom power through pins 1 & 5 of the MIDI-OUT jack
- Add a power supply in your rack (8V AC for example)
- Attach the power supplys + and - to pins 1 & 5 of a MIDI-Jack somewhere in your rack, use pins 2,3 and 4 to connect this jack with the MIDI-INPUT of the Axe-Fx

I did it and used a 1HU rackpanel on the back of my rack case, mounted one MIDI jack and one DC jack to it, connected everything as needed, and now i only need to connect the FCB1010 on the stage with a MIDI cable into my "custom MIDI jack", and it powers on! Great, no power cable needed on the stage front! :)

Back
Top Bottom