phantom power midi over 7 pin

primerib

So I want to power my midi foot controller (Peak 4 button unit). It takes a 12v supply, polarity doesn't matter and must be 200mAh or more.

I plug my 12v positive tip, 1A power supply into the back of the Axe FX II and connect a 7 pin midi cable to my footswitch and power on the power supply and axe fx ii, my midi controller doesn't power up.

I plug the power supply directly into the midi controller, it powers up.
I the same 7 pin cable and footswitch to my other rig with phantom power, the midi controller powers up with phantom power.

Is there a switch or option in the axe fx ii (running quantum) to get it to send phantom power to my midi controller?

The Axe Fx sends power on pins 6&7, so you'll want to make sure that's where your pedal is looking (Ground Control does this, not sure how universal it is). One negative possibility is that an over-power source (more than 1A) was plugged into the Axe Fx connection at some point... that will burn out the circuit and render that plug unusable. You can test it by seeing if you are indeed getting the proper voltage across pins 6&7.

I used to have a 7 pin midi cable that had a 5 pin connector and barrel connector on the "amp" end and a 7 pin on the pedal side so I could just plug my power supply in the case and wire it directly to the cable (without going through the Axe Fx). It worked very well. Made by Rocktron if I recall.

There is no switch. you will have to see if the axe fx powers the same pins on the mid cable as your other rig would be my guess. the power connecter on the back of the axe is sized for ac type power, and only connects this to the midi jack.

I did get my Axe FX II used so there is a chance that the plug was over powered on the axe fx. this is quite likely considering the power supply and cable do work. and the pedal uses pins 6&7 for power. I'll get busy with my multimeter to test

Back
Top Bottom