Phantom power circuit fried?!

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I have been using the phantom power with 7 pin midi cable to power my Morningstar MC6 for months now. I have followed the correct specs for the right adapter to be used on the back of the Axe Fx. I always power down the Axe with the power switch on the unit itself but I know the power that comes from the phantom circuit stills supplies power via the 7pin midi cable. There are many times the MC6 is just powered on when I'm not using the Axe Fx as I'm using other gear in my rack. Is this harmful?

or, is it bad to have a USB cable connected to the MC6 at the same time the unit is getting phantom power from the Axe Fx? USB only connected from time to time when using the editor for the MC6 but I know USB also supplies enough power for the MC6. Is having both connected detrimental?

I'm going to test the AC adapter with my multimeter tonight to see eliminate that as a possiblity

A while ago...something like 4 years ago, one of the ferrite beads in the circuit blew. It was actually quite easy for me to just hardwire the input jack to the 7 pin midi circuit, but if you aren't familiar or comfortable with soldering then making a friend could do it? That is, if this is your problem.

I have been using the phantom power with 7 pin midi cable to power my Morningstar MC6 for months now. I have followed the correct specs for the right adapter to be used on the back of the Axe Fx. I always power down the Axe with the power switch on the unit itself but I know the power that comes from the phantom circuit stills supplies power via the 7pin midi cable. There are many times the MC6 is just powered on when I'm not using the Axe Fx as I'm using other gear in my rack. Is this harmful?

or, is it bad to have a USB cable connected to the MC6 at the same time the unit is getting phantom power from the Axe Fx? USB only connected from time to time when using the editor for the MC6 but I know USB also supplies enough power for the MC6. Is having both connected detrimental?

I'm going to test the AC adapter with my multimeter tonight to see eliminate that as a possiblity
Had problems with my MC10 using a 350mA 9Vac adapter. Somehow the afxii would suck some current and the MC10 would not work correctly when connected over its USB to the computer. Using a 500mA dc supply cleared the problem.

Just used my multimeter to test the AC adapter and if i'm not mistaken that might be the culprit. I'm hoping that's the case. getting a zero read on the multimeter so thinking loose wire or something

I know everyone is bored to death talking and speculating about the Axe III and no doubt dying to hear an update about my little problem here. So here it is. Alas it was not the phantom circuit in the Axe but rather a burnt out/defective AC adapter. The good news is Jameco customer service was spectacular and sent me a new one at no cost. I verified with my mulitmeter first to isolate the problem was actually with the adapter. This brings me to a question:

Is it safe to leave the AC adapter plugged into the Axe at all times (which is connected via the 7 pin midi - powering my Morningstar MC6) even when the Axe Fx is not in use. Or should i be unplugging this everytime its not in use? could that have fried the AC adapter I wonder?

Back
Top Bottom