Petrucci 2010 BFR JP6 - Anyone Using?

joe1871

Inspired
Hey

I have a 2010 or 2009 JPS BFR 6 STRING - not sure of the year, bought it new a couple of years ago. I have a bunch of other double humbucker guitars. A Suhr Standard, a couple of PRS Cu24's, several diferent Gibsons, yadda yadda. The BFR isn't cutting through like the other guitars. If I unplug that guitar and then plugin a PRS say, the output is significantly higher. I think this thing has DiMarzio pups in it, but I am not sure. I am really surprised that against all of my other guitars this one is pretty anemic. Anyone else have this experience? Did you change the pups?

I have seen a few flames of this guitar on other boards. Some people call it a plastic toy. Its close to $3000 toy if it is. I love playing it - the neck feels great. I do hate the pickup switch position, that is a real problem for me - I hit it constantly. I also never use the piezo - they are all pretty lame as far as I am concerned. Piezo's are not quite there if you ask me. But regardless - I didnt buy it for the piezo, I bought it because it was supposed to be a great guitar. It does play beautifully, and nothing I own stays in tune like this guitar. I hadn't picked it up in a few months - poerfectly in tune. Stays that way no matter how hard I beat on It. That is huge to me.

Anyway - just looking for opinions, especially of the pickups. If you have one or had one and gave it up, please let me know.

Thanks

Joe

Im not a fan of dimarzio's either.. so I'd change them.

But if you love the way it plays, thats the important thing IMO.. Pickups can always be changed and sound better, but feel of a guitar cant be changed out.

Had several of them.Keep in mind petrucci has a pretty scooped sounding dimarzio in there supposedly because of his mesa settings.I have owned ibanez and ebmm petrucci guitars.I always have changed the bridge pickups.Great guitars.Go on the dimarzio site and check.He has used the d-sonic and more recently the crunch lab.If you like the guitar try different pickups.

I also have a JP BFR and have had similar feelings to the point I have been thinking of selling it. Like you I have others. Gibson's, Ibanez's, the Les Paul's being my go-to guitar's. Out of the lot the BFR: aah it sounds good but, I guess the best way to put it, it's very sterile sounding compared to all of my other guitar's, however I am not having output issues.

Pickups will change it for sure, I have been putting it off and having a hard time making a decision (change pickups or just sell it) it is a fight because as you know the thing plays like a high performance race car. Although I have raised the action a bit and have found it a bit more pleasing in the tone department.

For myself I have been thinking lower output, like a set of Joe Bonamassa pickups. I have a set in my Les Paul and love them. I have also heard them in a MM Steve Morse model and again they sounded fantastic. I never worry about gain to much since most modern amps and in our case the AF have way more gain than I need. For me the guitar has to sound great clean first.

If you do change pickups please post your results.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The JP6 is likely one of the greatest guitars I've ever playing.Got it last year and it smokes. Sounds and feels AMAZING. To each his own!

Back
Top Bottom