Peter Thorn and the Line 6 Helix

Hattrick17

Inspired
Well I am looking for a great all in one pedal rig and have been waiting for Fractal to build this great new device Yee Ha! I am on the waiting list and am looking forward towards trying this rig out. I am an avid subscriber of Peter Thorns YouTube Page and love his reviews, and his playing well what can one say other than awesome. Well I watched his review on the new Line 6 Helix and it seems he was so inspired by the unit that he actually did another one with a new YouTube page called Tims and Pete's Guitar show. It seems Mr Thorn is keen on the Line 6 and yes he did get fantastic sounds out of it. In all fairness I am certain he will be doing a segment on the AX8 as well which I am looking forward to watching and hearing. That being said I am now considering the Line 6 unit as well. Thoughts?

Well that is a certainly is a way for sure and I most likely will do that and post after I get the AX8. Both are in very high demand and there is a waiting list on the Line 6 from Sweetwater right now. However, I was looking to read reviews by those who had done this already and either kept one or the other or both or went back to their amps and FX8 or old school variety of pedals and amps. .

Hattrick- love the helix! Install some Ownhammer IR's and it is amazing... Didnt expect it to be. I bought it with the mind set of running into the fx loop of my BE100 and using it to switch channels ... But as of now i have even fired up the BE!
My 2 cents

May be this fall when my number comes up i can get the AX8 (rec'ved my confirmation email on Oct 13-6:51pm est)

Well that is a certainly is a way for sure and I most likely will do that and post after I get the AX8. Both are in very high demand and there is a waiting list on the Line 6 from Sweetwater right now. However, I was looking to read reviews by those who had done this already and either kept one or the other or both or went back to their amps and FX8 or old school variety of pedals and amps. .

Both.

IMG_5057_zpsssddszmd.jpg

Well I am looking for a great all in one pedal rig and have been waiting for Fractal to build this great new device Yee Ha! I am on the waiting list and am looking forward towards trying this rig out. I am an avid subscriber of Peter Thorns YouTube Page and love his reviews, and his playing well what can one say other than awesome. Well I watched his review on the new Line 6 Helix and it seems he was so inspired by the unit that he actually did another one with a new YouTube page called Tims and Pete's Guitar show. It seems Mr Thorn is keen on the Line 6 and yes he did get fantastic sounds out of it. In all fairness I am certain he will be doing a segment on the AX8 as well which I am looking forward to watching and hearing. That being said I am now considering the Line 6 unit as well. Thoughts?

Already there are several of these threads going.
Nothing wrong about that.

But since you already have 120+ messages posted on this board, and have posted here for years, without actually owning a Fractal product, I doubt very much that this thread will help you decide in any way.

Pete Thorn can make a $30 guitar into one of those plastic belt mounted Marshall pocket amps sound like the voice of God.......so doesn't really matter what he plays. I bought a Helix - played it back to back against my FXII for a couple of days but couldn't get it sounding anywhere near as good. It went back within three days. YMMV.

The Helix is a great unit and definitely worth checking out if you like the feature set. I was able to get some good tones out of it when I still had it but ultimately the AX8 just sounded better to me. I gave up a lot of cool features but in the end tone was my deciding factor and to my ears it was pretty clear the AX8 was superior in that regard. I've got nothing but love for the Helix though if I had the means I'd have both units.

With Helix , the colorful display and the scribble strips under the footswitches , were nice , but my ear heard the same old POD , with a new look. Others will argue that it sounds better. History shows that tons of people like the line6 pods , HD , etc , with sales to prove it. These same people will love the Helix , because navigation thru the new unit is much easier. The headphone jack will appeal to bedroom players as well.
However , if you are a serious guitar player that either gigs regularly , or can recognize authentic amp tone and feel , you owe it to yourself to plug into some Fractal gear , before settling for another modeler.
In short , a good guitar player , with some technical knowhow , will likely be able to make the Helix sound decent , especially if they purchase some 3rd party IR's , similar to what the AX8 currently uses. It won't change the amp modeling , but it should help. It's been said before , Pete Thorn will make anything he plugs his guitar into - sound good , and I'm sure he will point out the same positive features of the Helix that I mentioned above , if he does a review.
On the same note , a good guitar player will sound GREAT thru an AX8 ,........ instantly. Just plug and play ! I look forward to hearing his opinion of the AX8. I'd be very surprised if he didnt admit to it being the best sounding , footswitchable amp/multi-effects modeler he's ever used , hands down !
I know it is for me.

Last edited:
Already there are several of these threads going.
Nothing wrong about that.

But since you already have 120+ messages posted on this board, and have posted here for years, without actually owning a Fractal product, I doubt very much that this thread will help you decide in any way.

Regarding how many posts is irrelevant and or how many threads I have is irrelevant as well. The purpose of this thread is to communicate, and learn from others. So one has to own a Fractal Product in order to post here? Where in your Forum rules and disclosure does it say that? FYI As stated, "I have been waiting for a high quality replacement floor unit" mentioned within the 120 plus messages that I have posted. I also stated I would wait until someone including Fractal to build this a device like this and see if it will be a tool which will replace an existing analog/digital amp pedal board system which I currently own. You now have these available and I am on the waiting list. I considered your flag ship unit but for my needs it wasn't what I wanted. I also considered Kemper as well again it isn't what I am looking for. I am looking for an all in one foot pedal modeler effects unit and I think I may have found it. It just so happens other manufactures also are making high quality devices as well and I happen to take notice of a well know artist using one and wanted to get some information from other users of either or both the Fractal AX8 and Helix to see if they are sharing the same enthusiasm of each or one over the other. Nowhere have I stated that this thread is to help me decide. As stated, I am on the waiting list and I will order an AX8 and Helix as some have mentioned and I will post yet another thread on this Forum with my observations and opinion of each if that is ok with the moderator.

With Helix , the colorful display and the scribble strips under the footswitches , were nice , but my ear heard the same old POD , with a new look. Others will argue that it sounds better. History shows that tons of people like the line6 pods , HD , etc , with sales to prove it. These same people will love the Helix , because navigation thru the new unit is much easier. The headphone jack will appeal to bedroom players as well.
However , if you are a serious guitar player that either gigs regularly , or can recognize authentic amp tone and feel , you owe it to yourself to plug into some Fractal gear , before settling for another modeler.
In short , a good guitar player , with some technical knowhow , will likely be able to make the Helix sound decent , especially if they purchase some 3rd party IR's , similar to what the AX8 currently uses. It won't change the amp modeling , but it should help. It's been said before , Pete Thorn will make anything he plugs his guitar into - sound good , and I'm sure he will point out the same positive features of the Helix that I mentioned above , if he does a review.
On the same note , a good guitar player will sound GREAT thru an AX8 ,........ instantly. Just plug and play ! I look forward to hearing his opinion of the AX8. I'd be very surprised if he didnt admit to it being the best sounding , footswitchable amp/multi-effects modeler he's ever used , hands down !
I know it it for me.

Thank you good points.

What are the doing with all the returned units i wonder? Seems like tons of returns.

I don't think there were "a ton" of returns. Sure, the people here (mostly the same people as on TGP), but overall it didn't seem like there were that many. Some were sold for profit. Some went back to dealers who then sold them as returns. Sweetwater sold some returns on Ebay for $1350 or more and they all sold quickly. There's still more demand than supply.

I don't think there were "a ton" of returns. Sure, the people here (mostly the same people as on TGP), but overall it didn't seem like there were that many. Some were sold for profit. Some went back to dealers who then sold them as returns. Sweetwater sold some returns on Ebay for $1350 or more and they all sold quickly. There's still more demand than supply.

almost every review I have read people say "sending it back".

Back
Top Bottom