Pete Cornish Soft Sustain SS-2

I don't use the OD's in my Axe II much and haven't found a real replacement in there for my Cornish pedals. I'll mess around tomorrow a bit and see what comes closest to my SS-3. OD range is somewhere in the Tube Screamer area of OD/Distortion, but matching the EQ will be the trick.

It doesn't really help because I have no bloody idea what you're on about mate. The thread is about what block and setting to use to approximate David Gilmour's SS-2 pedal sound from The Division Bell era. What you wrote doesn't track at all. Sorry to be so blunt.

Ok - I was trying to help you find the tones your are looking for by stacking one drive block in the Axe into another, the two "real pedals" I had success with were the Xotic RC and Xotic AC boost, they are available in the Axe as the Esoteric RCB and Esoteric ACB respectively.
Try stacking these two drives in the Axe and try both the RCB into the ACB and the other way around. Maybe experiment with changing the diode in the ACB to a germanium, that might help even further, then again maybe not.
Hope this clears it up for you, I was just trying to help you out and answering your question.
Have a nice day

Rocket. I get it now. I thought you were talking about actual pedals. I have been on the road for so long I haven't been able to play. I don't know the names of all the bock sub types of. The top of my head. Several years in and I'm still very manual and wiki dependent for that kind of thing. Now I see you were talking about using multiple blocks. One question about your technique: would the drive blocks be in series or parallel or would that not make a difference?

Rocket. I get it now. I thought you were talking about actual pedals. I have been on the road for so long I haven't been able to play. I don't know the names of all the bock sub types of. The top of my head. Several years in and I'm still very manual and wiki dependent for that kind of thing. Now I see you were talking about using multiple blocks. One question about your technique: would the drive blocks be in series or parallel or would that not make a difference?

No problem and no harm done - takes more to rattle my cage :)

Put the drives in serial to get the desired effect.
I got so close to the sound of the SS-2 (that I really loved) that I sold it and used the RC and AC "combo" for the "SS-2" tones and still had the individual tones of the RC and AC available, feed up cash and precious pedalboard estate on my touring pedalboard back then.
I hope you succeed in getting your desired tone.

Looking forward to seeing my AFX2 and my guitars again (in January maybe?). Meanwhile I'm constructing a list of all the things I want to do and this is really top of the list.

Is there a particular Gilmour tone you're after from a specific song?

I'm thinking about setting up presets for Division Bell era tones in general, "What Do You Want From Me" in particular. I started out doing research in the mourish dot com page, http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=31 which has a lot of good intel, and that's what prompted me to ask about how to reproduce that component of that kind of tone. Of course, it opens up a zillion other questions, too and we'll get to those in due course :)

Try a Distortion+, change the diodes to germanium, change the low rolloff to about 80Hz and the high rolloff to about 1600Hz. The gain control on the Cornish is wired differently so it wont behave correctly throughout the sweep but for low - med gain stuff this will get the basis close but you'll have to boost treble on the EQ page to mimic the bypass cap on the Cornish drive pot. The other change I would make is to the slew rate, change the slew limit to 2.5 or 3 to mimic the 741opamp

Groovenut is heading in the right direction as his suggestion yielded the closest I could get to my SS-3. Still the SS-3 seems to have a clarity that I couldn't dial in on the AxeII/Plus Dist Drive. With a Strat I get a sting out of the SS-3 that I couldn't duplicate with the EQ.

I'd love if they modeled all Pete's pedals. My pedalboard would shrink quite a bit for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom